lotions in quantity

Sherl

How do you all make up large batches of lotion? I'm using a blender and only getting about 16 ounces. Could up it only a bit more with space left in blender. Are there large comercial blenders?

I very frequently make 2-3 gallons at a time with a stick blender. Basically, you need to be able to get all the way down to the bottom without immersing the motor part on the stick blender. If you need larger batches than that, you can still make it with a stick blender, you'll just need a WIDER container, not a larger one. Honestly, as long as the container is clean and sterilizable (is that a word???), it can be used. Just pour the heated water in first, not the heated oils, as the oils can warp some containers but the water probably won't. As I'm expanding I've been looking into all kinds of different methods of making larger and larger batches.

As one person pointed out to me (for looking outside the box), you could even make a huge batch of lotion in one of those large rubbermaid tubs (a good example of why you should pour the water in first, not the oil).

As for mixing equipment, there are lots of options for drill attachments that you can use. I've spoken with some lotion makers who are making larger batches than me, and one specific brand keeps coming up for attachments, and that's the Jiffy Mixers. Apparently its design is better for NOT mixing in air, which is a problem with many of the drill attachments (often called squirrel attachments, or paint mixers) I keep meaning to order one in, but I have to mail a check in for it, and I keep forgetting to do it.

I don't use plastic for mixing B&B products. I use only stainless steel or glass and I've got 8 qt ss mixing bowls and they work fine for gallon plus sizes of lotion and LS. I also use ss stock pots for larger batches. I use steralized plastic containers for storage and in the future I will store everything in ss...hate all the issues with plastic:mad: but I end up having to package it in plastic...unless i research other alternatives...hmmmm..END OF RANT:cheesy2:

I understand your rant about plastic. I've always felt that as long as I don't cross use the plastic, or recycle plastic from something else, I'm safe using it. And like you said.... it all ends up going into a plastic container for the final packaging...