Need expert advise on problem..white spots.

HelenW

On the weekend I tried ITMHP, but I think the problem started at the beginning.

I did RT and when I added my lye mixture, instead of stirring it together, I stupidly used the stick blender and found a big glob of white formed. I scraped it off the SB and used a spoon and wisk to try and incorporate it all together and was somewhat successful, or so I thought. I then SB to a light trace, add FO, (Rice Flower and Shea Oil), experienced a somewhat ricing, and kept SB. Everything looked okay and poured into mold and put in 170 oven for 2 hours. When I cut it the next day, no zap, but white spots appeared in the soap, and I am worried that it might be from the lye mixture clumping on me. Should this be a candidate for rebatching, garbage, or just for personal use. It does produce a nice lather and did not redden my hands. Sorry, no pictures available.

Sounds like a candidate for a rebatch only if you want to rebatch. Could the white spots be from the semi-ricing you said you had?

I guess I would say if it doesn't zap why rebatch? If it's ugly and you don't want to look at it, rebatch. If it eats your skin, rebatch, but since it didn't ... why, unless you want to rebatch.

Did you use palm oil?

Yes, I did.

The white parts do not ooze, so I am glad that it is not the lye. I did another batch, using the exact same oils, but hand stirred the lye in and then SB and it was perfectly smooth and no white pieces. Thanks for your help in this matter, it was appreciated.

Lesson learned.