It's making me crazy

Ok 4045H, 3% stearic, 1 oz. FF pp, twisted 30fb. The MP is leaving a pretty thick shell after 4 hr. consecutive burns (I'm on the 6th). I cut the wick to a freakin nub, and the flames still getting high even after 30 min. I don't get it! It's not flickering or sooting, but I'm not getting a good MP. The other tester I made is the exact same formula, except a dif. FO. The MP is good. Both are consuming but the flames are just getting too high for my liking. Any ideas?

Have you tried wicking down?

It seems the wick it's too big.

A smaller wick will burn less melted wax then you'll have a larger melt pool and probably a small flame...

It really depends on FO. I'm doing a lot of testing and can tell you it's not so simple as it seems, and with some scents I don't have any luck if I don't add vybar too.

Just play with the wick for now and see how it goes!

Hi Sabrina!

Yeah... I tried LX's and because they burn down so much the flames got too high too. Though they burn perfect for me in 1343 regular and mottled, go figure. I just like the 4045 mottle better. I tried a #1 square and it made the wax burn all funny. I just don't get how I could wick down if I'm not even getting a good MP now... :confused:

A big wick melts wax and consumes it fast, so the MP can't grow. Also if it consumes it too fast you have a big flame and it can sputter becasue the "fuel" (the melted wax) is not enough. A smaller wick melts wax but consumes it slower so the melt pool gets wider. I know it seems strange... but try with a 27 ply maybe and see if you have a difference.

Just think of tapers, if you want to make them dripless you have to use a relatively big wick so the wax get burned before it can drip.

I don't know the wax you are using because I don't have it here, but this is a general rule. Just try and see.

I could be wrong, but it's something I'd try!

Burned some more testers today. One in particular that stood out to me was the 30FB. Just like the other one, but non twisted. I noticed that the non twisted flame height was just fine, while the twisted one was high.

For those you who twist, do you notice a higher flame height because the wick is unable to curl, or is it just me? ~TY