beeswax, soy, and wicking

i made three experimental candles (3 scents) yesterday and lit one this morning....i did 97% ez soy, 3% beeswax....1.4oz pp fo....using and eco10 wick. either i cut the wick too short or it needs a bigger wick...will i see a need for a bigger wick with using the beeswax or should that not matter? my fo is the same as when i do just 100% ez soy. the flame is barely there....if i'd like to try a bigger wick, how do i change it? :embarasse

thanks for any input....

I'm not sure about the beeswax as I've never tried it, but for the bigger wick you can usually pull out the old with pliers and insert larger, sometimes you need to enlarge the hole a bit (I use a warmed metal skewer). Keep in mind that you can't burn the last 1/2" as the wick will float since it's no longer attached. HTH

I have used 97% GB 415 which is the same as EZ Soy and 3 % beeswax. I had read the beeswax can help the throw, reduce frosting and give a creamier look to the candle. I honestly couldn't tell that it helped the throw any and I ended up with some weird frosting around the sides of the candle. Needless to say, this blend didn't work for me but it has worked for alot of others.

The beeswax hardens the wax which is why you would need to wick up. I wicked up 1 size.

JMHO - but 3% is too high! The more BW you add, the more expensive the candle and the harder it will be to wick. In most cases the attributes you are looking to achieve through the addition of BW can be made at levels much lower than that, saving you money and enabling you to wick it without a great deal of hang up and cracking on the top. Try an oz or less per lb. and you will have a good starting point.

JMHO - but 3% is too high! The more BW you add, the more expensive the candle and the harder it will be to wick. In most cases the attributes you are looking to achieve through the addition of BW can be made at levels much lower than that, saving you money and enabling you to wick it without a great deal of hang up and cracking on the top. Try an oz or less per lb. and you will have a good starting point.

Actually 3% is only .48 oz per pound, you say thats too high and then recommending an oz or less per pound.

Beeswax can be added up to 5% and in the summer time 3 - 4% is usually a good amount. It raises the melt point, increases burn time and can keep those candles from melting in the heat. This comes in more handy to people doing craft shows and having candles outside in the higher temps. If you are just trying to reduce frosting, you can try a lower amount. It won't take much for that purpose alone.

In the winter, take it down to 1 - 2% so it doesn't pull from the jars and have cracking from the colder weather.

3bees - what size Jar are you using? That might help us point you to the right wick to try.

psssttt.... read the thread about coconut oil a couple posts up as well *wink*

I use beeswax at 4% with EZ Soy. I tried 3%, and it didn't quite do it for me. I don't know if it helps with frosting -- frosting doesn't bother me, so I don't pay any attention to it -- but it definitely helps for getting nice, smooth tops.