wicks

Well Candlewic's wick builder is a good place if you are needing unusual lengths. If you just need the standard lengths then most of the major suppliers have sample packs you can try out. A good thing to get is a bag of tabs so you can make a few of your own out of left over pieces.

I use bittercreek (almost everything) or KY Candle (cottons), and candlechem and cierra candles for test-length braids. After you get the sizes you need down - then candlewic for rolls. I don't think you will be able to go to just one suppler for every type of wick in both large and small amounts (and also offers test packs).

Definitely do what Vicky says - get test packs when starting. If just using soy then I would try LX, CD, HTP, Cottons - even hemp if you like. Probably stay away from Zincs with straight soy. (Research the board and see what others like and why. This WILL save you some money and frustration!)