Color Quality

So I've been playing around in the kitchen, making container candles. I'm wondering why the color in all of my candles come out with a pastel look? Is it the wax (4630 paraffin) or the dye (Reddi-Glo chips)? Or is it something else, perhaps I need an additive? What do I need to do or change to get a bright clean color in my containers?

I'm not sure then, maybe someone else will step up and chime in, I've been out of candlemaking for about a year and just got back with it.

As for additives, most will help the color deepen. Univeral Additive (UA) really gets my colors nice and vibrant and my wax really stands out if I'm not using any color at all.

Straight paraffin wax is translucent. With the addition of additives the wax has now become opaque or white. The IGI 4630 wax you are using is a container blend, already has the additives in the wax. So now you have wax with white color in it (not really but the additives make the wax act that way). So now you are adding color to a wax that has white in it. Because of the white in the wax you have to add more color to get the right shade.

About color mixing...

If you add white to a color it will lighten it. If you add black to a color it will darken it.

HTH - Candle Man

That's how container waxes do. The colors are more creamy looking. Pillars are much easier to get vivid colors because the wax is more opaque. If you look through the gallery you can get a general idea of how the colors will do...