Regs on B&B?

I've been reading through this whole site, and the answers vary greatly, especially depending on the age of the thread, and even supplier to supplier's info pages. And heck, even government pages vary.

Is there a line crossed through B&B where, by law, you must list ingredients of products since they go on your skin? Like soap no, but body lotion yes? Not proportions of course, but a basic list on the label somewhere to indicate what's on the product?

Is it only consumables/ingested products?

Well for all cosmetic, B&B, M&P soap etc. you must list the ingrediants in a specific order. CP or HP soaps you don't have to for some reason but some do anyway. I believe this is all governed by the FDA, so you could poke around thier site to learn more but it's quite cryptic.

If you created a product, that contained 75% Water, 20% Beeswax, 5% Sweet Almond Oil and 1% Fragrance your label would look like this:

Water (aqua), Beeswax, Sweet Almond Oil, Fragrance. OR better yet using INCI names.

Does that help?

I'm also curious about 'testing' of B&B products...if you make a lotion from scratch...(not using a base)..how many people actually send it off for testing before selling it? Is this a requirement or is this more a personal choice? I have read where some have talked about having their products tested by an agency but I wonder if the majority of people selling b&b are actually doing this?

Where do you send it off to be tested at? I'm going to learn to make lotion this summer and that would be a great thing to know.

I'm not sure, maybe one of the 'pro' B&B'ers will pop in on this thread and give you some ideas on how to have your testing done! I think its a good thing just for peace of mind if nothing else, but also when a customer asks you can tell them its been tested!

P&V, glad to hear your getting it tested...I read so much on these forums about needing insurance and not selling before you get insured etc, but you don't hear to much about this product testing before selling...I would think this would be another 'form' of insurance per se, to go along with the liability insurance..KWIM? I don't make B&B stuff, just dabble in a little bit for myself but I was thinking about this testing the other day and thought this would be a good time to bring it up......hopefully someone will step in here!

The FDA specifically states:

Cosmetics produced or distributed for retail sale to consumers for their personal care are required to bear an ingredient declaration

...so, if you have a sample you are giving away, then legally, no, it does not require an ingredient label. For liability purposes, however, it is still a good idea. This way the consumer (whether it was purchased or given free) knows what is in the sample in case there are any allergy concerns.