Need help with Joy wax

My mom bought me some Joy wax after i told her that i was going to buy like a sample of it, but instead she bought me 50 lbs, of it.

I got it Saturday, I also got my sample fragrances from a different company so i thought i would experiment with both.

I am sooooooo disappointed with the wax, I followed all the directions and still i can not smell the fragrance out of the container unlike my natural candles. So i thought i would use my other fragrances that i have been using, still haveing the same problem. Even when its burning i can only smell it faintly(?). I used my strongest scent i have and still no luck.

But i do like how it is all smooth and creamy looking, the candles in the container look great, its just the smell, I also put vybar in my candles could that be it.

I also experimented with the new fragrances with my old wax and they smell awesome.

Has anybody else had this problem before???

Mindy :)

Hey there,

I use JOY wax, so I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in....lol. First off, you didnt mention how much FO you use.. I almost always use 1.5 oz per lb, and depending on the scent, you have to let em cure for 3-7 days. Usually you can start smelling them after 2..... but that is the general rule with this wax. I like the wax, but have a few small quirks that I dont like. I have a few candles that I made a couple of years ago, and for some reason, the soy seems to absorb the FO and it loses some of its strength. The second is I cant get a good sharp color from it.. but other than that I have been really pleased with it. If you have any more questions post here or just drop me a line... I will do what I can for ya :cheesy2:

I put 1.5 oz of wax in except for the samples that were just 1 oz. but i made it add up with the wax, put less wax so i could get the maximum result from the fragrance, did that make sense lol. They have only been sitting for well today will be the 3rd day. They do make beautiful candles i really do like the creamy look. I am burning one right now Chocolate Supreme, it smelled so good in the sample bottle, I hope it smells in good in my candle.

Thanks a bunch, I'll probably have more questions

Mindy :)

glad I could help. and you did what I would have done.. but with this type of wax, some FO's will just be lighter than you expect.... The one that really stands out for me with this wax is Hot Orange Danish from NG.. holy cow is that strong after a couple of days..lol... anyway.. just play with it.. and if you have any questions just send em to me... my yahoo link is there too.... im usually lurking in the invisible relm....lol....

I used Joy Wax for about a year so I'm pretty familiar with it. I still have some left over and use it now and then. I'm pretty sure that when you added vybar to it, you bound up the scent. Joy is mostly soy but also has additives already in it. Since Joy is mostly soy, some scents will never throw in it. As a rule, I use 1.5 oz of FO per lb of wax...this is more than enough to give you excellent throw, just like plain soy. I never cured it and it throws beautifully as soon as it's been set up. You also have to wick up with this wax. I can use a certain wick in a candle that I made with J223, make another candle exactly the same but use Joy Wax and will have to use a wick 2-3 times larger to get it to burn the same as the J223. When you don't have a hot enough burn, your candle won't throw either so that's something to consider. So, add 1.5 oz of fo per lb of wax, do not put vybar or any other additives into it, and wick it properly. If you tell me what size container you are using, maybe I can suggest a wick size for you. Good luck!

Scent Cellar: I use an LX-28 in a 6 oz. square mason using Joy Wax and it takes at least 3 hours-4 hours to get full melt pool going. I think a CD-10 is way too small for an 8 oz. square mason...you might want to try a CD-16 or 18 if you've got one...may even have to up it to a 20. It takes a much larger wick to get a full melt pool with Joy Wax.

You actually got a full melt pool using a CD-10? I would have thought that it would burn right down the middle with maybe a 3/4" -1" diameter melt pool. I don't know how you did it, but more power to ya girl. :wink2:

I haven't put any vybar in the new ones i made, and they smell awesome, tried a different wick, the only ones i had on hand other than the hemp wicks, Yaley's pre waxed zinc wire core wick ( lead free), love the burn or whatever its called, the burn with the hemp wicks were really high.

I made Banana Kiwi, Plum Pudding and Best Friends, my house smells sooooo good, I have been testing them like crazy and have finally fallen in love with Joy Wax.

Thanks you guys are awesome,

Mindy :yay:

• 17 years later...