bath bomb size?

I meatballer is what I use (and I'm new to bombs so take this for what it's worth!) and my bombs are a little over 2 oz.

One thing I like about the meatballer is it has holes so I can stuff more in it after I close it and get it really tight.

Bethany

I use to use the meat baller but found it to be a PITA! My mixture got stuck in it all the time. I now use the clear plastic ornament balls and they work wonderfully. I can make more bath bombs than before because they are easier to unmold IMO than the meat baller. Plus I am able to make huge bath bombs.

I've never used a meatballer. I use the ornament thing. I love the size of them things. Also, when I first started making bath bombs, I used to make 1/2 rounds (shaped like a bombe). I used the little plastic container that you get stockings in. I would fill the top half, squish it all in with the palm of my hand and unmold immediately. They were SOOOO easy to do. I'd sit them in cupcake paper thingies and wrap them in cello - very cute they were.

S

I've made bath bombs (it's honestly been ages and ages since I have though), and what always baffled me about the really huge ones is this... Do people actually use one per bath? Not only is that huge, but they're usually pricey! I remember buying some before I got into making all this stuff, and they were maybe an inch across. And I'd only use one, two if I was intending a really long bath, was really sore, etc. But some of these bombs are easily 4 inches across and up. Do your customers use one per bath, or do they break them up to use in multiple baths (I think that'd be a pain as well as messy for them)?

While I can't imagine wanting to make tons of small ones, I always thought them more logical to the consumer than the gigantic ones. KWIM???

I used to feel the same but when I switched to the big honking bombs, my customers would tell me that they would start out by trying to use just 1/2 the bomb and then decide to toss the other 1/2 in too. They seem to be happy with the bigger size. Also, it depends on how big your tub is, how high you fill it etc etc. Making the smaller ones was fun but labor intensive.

the trick I have found with making the bombs with the meatballer is this:

open it and scoop enough in to get it pretty darn full. Squeeze together. Add some more through the wholes if you can get more in. Tap on counter on both sides. Stick finger in the whole and lift one top side up a smidge, put it down again (this keep it from sticking and seperating), turn mold over and do the same thing with the other side. then release from the mold. Yes, it is a pain in the rear, but once you get the hang of it it can go faster. I do want to try the big ornament. But I also like selling the smaller to give people a choice of how much/little to use. Plus it is good to have some things selling for just a couple of bucks I think.

Bethany

It has been a while since I made them. I use to be in an area that had low humidity so it was easier then. Alot of it depends on the recipe used. I think the great big ones are visually appealing to some folks. However, when I made them a large meatball size was all I needed to create a lot of bubbles and get my skin nice and soft without being greasy. After I got people to try them and see that they didn't need a huge softball size they were usually very pleased. Plus, I just felt that a great big one was way too much product to be soaking in for us girls, if you know what I mean:wink2:

I started out making VERY large size Bath Bombs (7 oz, baseball size) but I found that my customers were always trying to break them apart (no easy feat) so I switched to making them 4 oz and selling them 2 to a package and charging a bit more because of the weight of 2 versuses the one large one. I still have a boxfull of the 7 oz size which I will occasionally treat myself to :)

HTH,

Beverly