When to use a preservative, and which one to use?

bunkie68

I'm getting some FBB from the co-op order, and I'm excited about trying my hand at scrubs. When do I need to use a preservative, and how do I figure out which one to use?

I started with Liquipar in my scrubs and have kept at it. It works for me. You should always use a preservative on anything that will come in contact with water or could be contaminated.

FBB already has a preservative in it.

Check this link out for more information about preservative.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21760

I didn't think that it did. I don't see it in the INCI here from Kangaroo Blue and she suggests preservative.

INCI: Glycerin, Distilled Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Here's a simple recipe that can be easily adapted into your own creations! Click here for pictorial.

40 oz. FBB

2 oz. Apricot Kernel Oil

2 cup of brown sugar

1 oz. of Pink Sugar

few drops of red colorant

Liquapar Optima Preservative

I was looking at the one from The Chemistry Store, theirs has:

INCI: Distilled Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/foaming_bath_butter.htm

I know, I went and looked at my tub and saw that it didn't come with a preservative so I had to do a double take on their website and thought I was reading the ingredients for something else. lol I wonder though if you add more oils etc to their fbb, wouldn't you have to count for the extra oils added in and add more preservative?