need help on recipe

cowgirl

I need help figuring out what % to use on these oils can someone please help me. I have tried to figure this out in soapcalc but I just dont know enough on how to figure the right percents yet

Olive Oil

coconut oil

palm oil

soybean oil

castor oil

cocoa butter

poppy seeds

i don't have cocoa butter is there something else i could use ?

Is this a recipe or are you posting what you have on hand? You can sub shea butter or mango butter for the cocoa butter, or just leave it out.

Have you read this? http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3164

It's a good starting point. Here are some tips. Don't go over 10% on the castor oil, and 20% or so for the coconut. Olive should be the highest percentage in your recipe. For seeds, a little bit goes a long way. Try a TBS in your 2-3 lb batch.

My whole family remembers my sandpaper soap. I used strawberry seeds and waaay too many. They are not really suited to soap. They are too big and very scratchy. What looks tiny can feel huge on your skin. I ended up grinding them with a mortar and pestle for later batches and they were ok.

Poppy seeds are great in soap.

Read up on the properties of the oils either on the web or in a book. You can make a 100% olive oil soap, or you can add palm, castor or coconut to it for lather/bubbles. Personally, I use 23% coconut and 7% castor oil, but I don't use palm at all. But first, read up on the oils. Even some of the sites that sell oils and butters like MMS will give you and idea of what the oils are like and a range of percentages.

Just a small warning. I loved poppy seeds in soap until I was showering with a bar and got a poppy seed in an unpleasant area. Nothing scary, but just a bit uncomfortable. Now I reserve them for hand soaps.

thanks everyone. the reason i asked this question is someone emailed me this recipe and i printed it out and deleted email and now i can't find my email anywhere (im so unorganized) anyway i remembered it had these oils in it so i thought i would ask here. i shoulda put my results from soapcalc in my msg that i come up with but i wasnt for sure if they were right or not so i just left that part out and asked.

i have started printing stuff out and i have not gotten everything in a binder yet for notes, crap is strung out all over the place, just too much stuff going on with graduation and birthdays etc this month. i will work on this more next week when things settle down......maybe i can even make some soap lol