SOS Grades Help for Perfume Dupes

Cissy

I already have FCO and Jojoba for roll-on perfume bottles and have made up a couple of skin safe FO's I had on hand. They turned out great, don't even leak (yet) after 2 weeks. Now I'm ready to try more FO's and was looking at SOS's designer perfume list. Many reviews seem to show they have a lot of dead on dupe fo's. I reviewed the difference in SOS, Ultra, and Extreme grades. When I went to checkout, I noticed they have a manufacturer's grade stating to use for bath & body, etc, but don't mention body oils. The cosmetic grade says to use for body oils, bath & body, etc. Since I will be using in roll ons, should I use the cosmetic grade? Is the cosmetic grade weaker than the manufacturer's grade? Should I only use the cosmetic grade for perfume? Would the ultra grade be too strong even at a lower % in the roll on bottles (don't want to melt the plastic balls or to overload it and cause skin irritation), but want a FO level that will last . I am just not sure if the SOS grade will be strong enough when mixed with the FCO and Jojoba at 15 to 20% FO. I have never used any of their FO's before. Since I will only be ordering 1 oz samples to test(even they are expensive at SOS), I would so much appreciate any imput and help with my many confusing questions.

Bumping up, hoping to get a response:

There must not be a lot of perfume makers on this board, but for those who have order from SOS, can you explain the difference between the cosmetic grade and the manufacturers grade, which they offer. I am really confused moreso now, since I was told two different things by reps at SOS.

(maybe one of them was new & just guessing). One told me I could use the mfgr grade for roll-ons, the other one said I need the cosmetic grade. I explained in detail exactly what carriers I would be blending with FO.

Now I'm really confused. That's why I trust the end-user's advice sometimes more than the supplier's. I think, sometimes, some new employees (with any company) don't want to appear to not be able to answer a question, so they just guess at it.

If you are using this on the skin, even cut- I would recommend cosmetic grade. I never use anything but the SOS regular concentration and have good results. The manufacturers grade is more suitable for candle and CP soap applications. You can email Jaymes @ SOS, he is a master perfumist and very versed on all aspects of fragrance oil. HTH. ;)

Personally, I would avoid SOS all together. Their scents tend to morph in time and to something that is not too pleasant. Very poor quality FO's and their dupes are not that great (tried most of them). Yea, old timer here...

Have you tried other FO's like Nature's Garden or Backwoods? High quality and skin safe offered.

Most suppliers say their FO's are either skin safe or not skin safe. SOS must call their's cosmetic grade instead of skin safe grade (which makes this a little unclear when I am use to thinking in terms of skin safe or not).

I have never made products to put on the skin before (just tarts and paraffin candles), so never paid much attention to this until now that I want to make the roll-ons.

I have ordered from Natures Garden, but not any perfume types yet.

Thanks, ya'll. I appreciate your advice on this.

Cissy,

I actually sent an email asking this same question a few days ago (Monday I think) and never heard back from them. Which really sucks because I kind of wanted to place an order with them, but I typically will not order from a place that won't answer questions/lacking customer service.

I wanted to know because I make both candles and b&b and didn't want to have to order two different types of FOs. What sucks about it, is now I don't have the answer to my question and they were the largest FO supplier I could find that contains so many perfume dupes. And they had some neat other stuff I would have liked to try as well.

OH WELL! :)

I would just call them @ their toll free #. Everyone I have talked to has been really nice (even with different advice). When I need a quick answer, I prefer calling rather than waiting for someone to return an email. Maybe you can speak to the master perfumest Mystic suggested. I might give him a call myself soon. Both reps I spoke to, did tell me that the cosmetic grade and the manufacturer's grade had nothing to do with the strength of the FO's (which I still don't totally understand, unless as I mentioned, they are actually referring to skin safe when they call it cosmetic grade). They said that the strength is determined only by SOS , Ultra, or Extreme concentrations. If this is the case, it would help make things clearer for their new customers, if they would just drop the cosmetic & mfgr's descriptions, classify as skin safe or not skin safe,(like most other suppliers do), and list the three strength grades. It would probably save them answering a lot of questions from dummies like me....(or maybe I'm one of the few who's had questions about this). Well, I don't mind sounding dumb, as long as I find out what I need to know. (LOL)

Sure I could call and I'm sure they would answer their phones and help me. But I personally think a company should have good customer service both phones and email if they list them both as ways to be contacted.

Anyway you basically just answered my question (I think! :)). Sounds like from your post I would have to purchase both cosmetic and manufactures grade oils for different applications (candles and perfume). But I'm still not sure because of this that they have posted on their website:

Manufacturer's Grade Suitable For:

• ALL Soapmaking
  • Wax Candles
  • Soy Candles
  • Bath and Body Products
  • Toiletries
  • Perfumes, Colognes
  • Oil Burning
  • Incense
  • Potpourri & Sachets
  • Lampe Bergers
  • Reed Diffusers

Cosmetic Grade Suitable For:

• Body Oils
  • MP Soaps
  • Toiletries
  • Bath and Body Products
  • Perfumes, Colognes
  • Oil Burning
  • Incense
  • Potpourri & Sachets
  • Reed Diffusers

According to this you can use the manufacturer's grade for perfumes and candles. I just don't have the space to store two different grades of oils for two different applications.

Ok, nevermind! I just found this after a lot of digging:

"Either manufacturer's grade or cosmetic grade fragrance oils can be used to make bath and body products, perfumes, colognes, etc. "

So I guess my question is answered as far as that is concerned... I can just order "manufacturer". So I guess they all must be skin safe but the cosmetic grade is just more suited to using in cosmetic applications?

But I agree with you Cissy, they should just mark it "skin safe" or not and then have thier different concentrations. They must get a lot of questions like ours. Maybe that's why they stopped responding to emails because they get so darn many! (But that's no excuse not to answer an email IMHO. I wouldn't run a business that way!)

Their descriptions for Mfg'rs grade and Cosmetic grade is confusing (as I mentioned in my first post.) What's even more confusing is that their Mfgr's and cosmetic grades both list perfumes and colognes, but one rep told me I needed to use cosmetic grade in roll-on bottles, even if I blend with other carrier oils. I really wish they would explain this better on their site so that it corresponds with what they tell you on the phone.

I tried to place an order on-line, went to check out, then got confused, so canceled what I had done...then called. The first rep told me I could use mfgr's grade in roll-ons with carrier oils. I called back next day to place order, told the 2nd rep what the lst rep had told me. He disagreed, put me on hold to talk to the other rep (I assume). He then told me I needed to use the cosmetic grade and could use without adding anything.

I listened to him, placed a $160 order.........AND NOW I'M CONFUSED AGAIN WHEN I LOOK AT THEIR SITE AGAIN. It just doesn't make sense to hear one thing on the phone and read another on the site.

So....please don't make any decision based on what I've said. Talk to somebody else before you place an order

You know what though, she (phone rep) was probably assuming you weren't going to dilute the oils in a carrier oil. If you use their cosmetic oils you don't need to use a carrier oil. If you use the manufacturer grade you would need to use a carrier oil.

So if you plan to use a carrier oil, I'd bet you can go ahead and use the manufacturer grade.

I think I have this figured out!! :) Lol.

ETA: Oops guess I didn't read your post fully... you said she told you to use cosmetic even if you were using a carrier oil. Huh, nevermind I don't have anything figured out. SIGH!

Have you tried ordering anything from them yet?

No, neither one of them could have assumed I was not planning to use carrier oils. (think I mentioned this in my lst post). I told them both I already had some FCO and Jojoba oil...that I wanted to make them to be safe, but strong and as long-lasting as possible. The 2nd rep thought it was necessary to correct what the 1st rep told me (use mfgr's grade) by saying I needed to use cosmetic, not mfgr's grade for roll-ons (with or w/out carrier oils, depending on the strength of oil).

That's why I started this thread (when I got two different rep. opinions, one different than info on their site). Since I first posted, I ordered approximately (40) 1-oz samples, cosmetic grade, some of them Ultra.

Wish I had waited, but I was in a hurry to get started after researching this for awhile) and ordered before you posted. Your post reminded me of my original confusion, so I reread the site and got confused all over again. Looks like I should have spent some time researching SOS more, though.

Mystic (above post) seems to have quite a bit of experience with the cosmetic grades, though, so my confidence is in her advice. I think I probably made the right decision ordering cosmetic grade...have a lot of testing to do, though, to be absolutely sure.