Question on painting candles

There are products on the market for doing this, however I don't use them. It is personal preference. People have found what works for them. I spray my candle with mat finish varnish....let dry between two coats. It gives me enough"tooth" to hold the acrylic paint. Then when dry I spray it with double thick gloss varnish. Does this make sense? I also glue rice paper onto the wax. Then paint the paper. On the one I am posting....I then coated the entire finished candle with modge podge and sprinkled on sugar glass. Quite the process, but I've never seen anyone else do this....but then again, I am the insane one. LOL Donita

post-248-139458381396_thumb.jpg

There are products on the market for doing this, however I don't use them. It is personal preference. People have found what works for them. I spray my candle with mat finish varnish....let dry between two coats. It gives me enough"tooth" to hold the acrylic paint. Then when dry I spray it with double thick gloss varnish. Does this make sense? I also glue rice paper onto the wax. Then paint the paper. On the one I am posting....I then coated the entire finished candle with modge podge and sprinkled on sugar glass. Quite the process, but I've never seen anyone else do this....but then again, I am the insane one. LOL Donita

Nice job! Looks great!! I bought one white pillar candle today and two smaller pillars. I have a printed layout, I found online and I am going to use this pattern, I like.

I have the paints. Now, I should use a layer of varnish first, prior to painting? I also purchase some stuff the gal at the store told me, that prevents fire with paints, to mix in with my paints, equal parts. What is modge podge?

Thanks for the tips!

Linda

I didn't know that there was something that keeps paint from burning. I didn't even think about that. I do painting on pillars and hurricanes. What is the product? Mod podge is like white glue. It dries clear and is used for decoupage. One coat of varnish just isn't enough. You need two of the mat finish. My paint sticks just fine doing that. Please let us know how your experiment works out. Donita

I sprayed a piece of wax this morning with varnish and am going to TRY to light it on fire. I have never had a candle catch on fire, but one never knows. I'm as worried about the acrylic paint as I am the varnish. We'll see. Donita

I didn't know that there was something that keeps paint from burning. I didn't even think about that. I do painting on pillars and hurricanes. What is the product? Mod podge is like white glue. It dries clear and is used for decoupage. One coat of varnish just isn't enough. You need two of the mat finish. My paint sticks just fine doing that. Please let us know how your experiment works out. Donita

Hi Donita,

I looked at the stuff she gave me and what she gave me, I don't think it is for what she told me what it is for. So maybe she didn't know what she was talking about? It is b Delta, Candle and Soap Painting Medium??

Linda

Here is a candle I did the other day, my first.

[ATTACH]1830[/ATTACH]

post-1531-139458381483_thumb.jpg

I have that paint medium and don't like it. I also bought paints that are for painting on wax.....don't like them either. I like my paint to have the color and texture that I am use to.....the others seem to be too diluted. I am going to paint a candle today.....it really is fun and I had fogotten all about it. I get so wrapped up in other things....thanks for reminding me. My paints are way upstairs in my attic room. Donita