Soap mold?

katshe

I have this m&p base that cools quickly and I can't seem to add things to it and pour it before it starts to clump up, So--- I though that if I melt it in the mold I could avoid having to pour it and loosing precious soap.

Any suggestions for a microwaveable dish that holds 2 lbs that I could use?

Next Question

I am making a man bar by request of hubby

Thinkin of sandalwood , sweet orange,aqua...and adding some rosemary & thyme...does this sound like it will smell good?

I have made a dry spray for hubby with the three scents and -Here is what he said when he came home from work " Wow I smell soo good, I'm turning myself on. lol:yay:

I have never experienced a MP base that behaves like the one you have described, so I honestly don't know what to say here. I can't imagine melting soap in the mold, but that's just me. What kind of base is this?

Your fragrance combo sounds like it would be nice.

I've done very little in the way of MP, but maybe it's cooling to fast because of what you heat it in.

What are you melting it in? Perhaps you need a container that holds heat a bit better - can you microwave it in a pyrex measuring cup? That will stay warm itself and help keep your soap from solidifying too quickly.

Or maybe you'd better tell us step by step what you do so we can see what's going on...

Lol, Katshe. Funny you say that just now about what hubby said. I was in the kitchen a few days ago rebatching some M&P (I'm in the experimenting stage still and I can't use as much as I make so I re-experiment, lol)...

Anyways, he's standing there with this 'poor me' look on his face and he says....'There's no mansoap in the bathroom. Can you make me some mansoap?'

Too cute the way he says it like it's one word.:grin2:

Ok, sorry to hijack:wink2:

I almost gave up on mp because of this with my first experience with it. You just learn to keep it over the heat up until you absolutely have to take it off ( i use a double boiler method now and try to keep a lid over the pan while it's off the heat or when ever I turn it down for a bit.) Other than that you just learn to work fast, lol.

I am using the stephenson shea base and also the organic base, which is giving me the most grief , but I am concerned about the base boiling.

I use a pyrex bowl - cut soap into small pieces and melt two pounds at a time in the microwave.

Let it cool to add fragrance and additives

Then try to pour it into my downspout mold. ( hard to get it poured into tha small opening)

Buy this time it is like thick oatmeal.

Maybe I should use one of those wooden molds instead. I think I could pour faster that way

I did reheat the soap a few times to get the lumps out.

I Believe the Stephenson bases do cool faster, but what a pain.

I did email the company and they suggested to heat base to 155-165 and poured at 150- 160 degrees f ,

Well my next batch I will watch it closely and see what happens.

I suppose I will also use the double boiler too, so I can monitor degrees.

Oh, I have never used a double boiler and don't have one.

Please explain

Is it going to be two pots or am I going to need a pouring something

Not sure what I am saying here.

Help!

Kathy:embarasse

Money (rather the lack of it) is always an issue, so I juggle things & work w/ what I have.

I do not own a double boiler, but I do own a lot of pots! LOL I have pyrex measuring glass cups in various sizes, all purchased from thrift stores. I use those as my "inserts" & put it in a pot of water, find a lid that covers the whole cup (to keep in moisture), put the pot on the stove on low, & go about my business. I've looked at the soap melters & double boilers, I just don't like the thought of having to transfer the soap into something that will be easier for me to pour. My homemade way works for me!

I've never used the Stephenson bases, but I've read the instructions about using the organic/natural bases. IMO they have too many instructions for M&P. M&P should be fun & flexible.

If you're going to keep using them, then you'll really have to learn to coordinate your moves & work fast.

Try to not let it frustrate you too much. You'll get better w/ the base the more you use. But most importantly, HAVE FUN :grin2:

Sharon

Giving it another try tomorrow

Sooner or later I will be venturing into the world of hp soaping, just want to try making my own soap and avoid the middleman...If my figures are correct the cost for one bar will be about .64 cents , without fragrance

Anyway,

Thanks for all the help ladies

Kathy Ill let you know how things go! :yay:

I just want to echo Beau's Mama on the do it yourself double boiler. I use one medium el cheapo thrift store pot, put a metal cookie cutter or a small wire cooling rack in the bottom (to keep the bottom of your insert pot -or inside pot- off the direct heat of the outside boiler pot) Cover it with enough water to meet the base of the insert pot plus another inch or so to allow for evaporation. Put the whole thing on a burner and heat the water up --from which the heat will cause the wax or soap to melt that is in the second inside pot. I generally use a silver metal bowl for the inside pot. Any size. Another pan as an inside pan works best though because of the handle. It will just sit in a bit lopsided but as long as there is enough clearance between the pan rim and the water it will be fine. I just always use metal bowls because I often have more of them available, lol. I've also put an entire pour pot (candle type) in the pan. I keep old pot holders handy to remove the inside pot. I've used too small of bowls and too unstable bottomed bowls and ended up with bowls tipping over and getting water in the wax or soap pan. Ok with soap, not ok with wax, lol.

Anyhoo, like anything it's trial and error and you will find your own groove. I personally don't see why I need to buy any special equipment. ( Gotta love Goodwill) :grin2: At least until I get super serious about this stuff and stop just experimenting and learning. (will that ever happen?):wink2: