re: first batch of CP soap- oatmeal & honey

JMCintosh

I cut the soap I made yesterday and put it out to cure. :yay: These soaps were made in a shoe box. Plan on rebatching though. I added honey and oatmeal and realized they don't have much scent to them. Is there any thing I can add that is natural to give it a fragrance? They are for my brother he has alergies to fragrance. Also should I leave then this light brown or add color? What kind of coloring is ok for natural soaps? When do I do the tounge test for PH before I rebatch or after? Do they need to cure for the 4-8 weeks before I rebatch or are they ok now to rebatch? :undecided

Hi,

First off I sent you a pm on posting a pic.

This is just my opinion. Since your brother has so many allergies and you are wanting something that you won't have to worry about him having a reaction I would rebatch and leave it the way it is.

Granted it may not really have a scent but the benefits of it being all natural and the properties of the oatmeal and honey itself would be enough. Maybe make another batch for someone that you don't have to worry about adding colors and fo's.

As far as a natural color there are alot of spices that can be added but there again you don't want him having an allergic reaction to some spice that you may not he has.

Anyway HTH I'm sure that he will love the soap regardless.

Sandra

Thank you. I just shredded a few bars for rebatch and while washing my hands and shredder I realized they were very slimy feeling is that normal? It isn’t going to feel like that when I bath with the bars... will it? Another question I have is ... when I am rebatching and getting ready to put it in a decorative mold do I need to put anything on the molds for like easy release. I read somewhere to use Vaseline on them.

I'm can't really answer about the slimy feeling. I'm sure that once it's recooked that should go away. As far as the molds are they flexible type molds? If so they should just pop right out. I've never had a problem with them sticking in the molds. I did have one (ooops) lol and I just stuck in the freezer for a few minutes and it popped right out. HTH

Thank you. I just shredded a few bars for rebatch and while washing my hands and shredder I realized they were very slimy feeling is that normal? It isn’t going to feel like that when I bath with the bars... will it? Another question I have is ... when I am rebatching and getting ready to put it in a decorative mold do I need to put anything on the molds for like easy release. I read somewhere to use Vaseline on them.

I use freezer paper in the mold when I rebatch and I do it on purpose! I've put cp rebatch in my plastic molds and as long as I leave them for 24 hours and put them in the freezer for 20 mins or less they pop right out. I'm not sure about the slimy feeling maybe just because you didn't cure them for too long?? I do not make cp soap so I'm no expert.

Why do you plan to rebatch? They look fine, esp. for a first batch. If your brother has allergies, don't bother with fragrance, or find out what he has allergies to. I can't take many fragrance oils, but haven't yet had a problem with EO's.

They don't "need" colour - all of my soaps are white/ivory to various shades of brown. I can't be bothered pouring in a ton of colouring.

If the sliminess is caused by a high % of olive oil, they might have to cure for six or seven months or more.