Special effects on this swirly candles ...

Hi there,

I purchased a candlemaking book by Letty Oates called Naturally Creative Candles. Am wondering if anybody has seen the candle that is right on the front cover, an unusual swirly patterend candle, sort of looks pearly.

This book is full of ideas on how to make different candles, upon quickly browsing this book in the shop, was hoping to make this particular one.

Unfortunately was very disappointed to find this candle is not shown i nthe book, on how to make it, its only shown as part of a display along with a pear shaped and apple shaped one too.

Has anybody got any idea on how this effect was made ?

I found it very deceiving to place this on the cover and not have anything in the book about these candles.

Book can be found online under the name mentioned, with the pic of the candle on cover in centre.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robyn :-)

Hi Robyn...I just purchased it. I have seen it before and it looks interesting. Here is one review however....but others were better LOL And I do think it is wrong for a book to show a picture and not tell you how to do it. I have another very popular book (The Complete Candlemaker by Norma Coney) that did that to me when I was first starting. It showed a white chunky candle with colorful chunks. I tried it and it came out terrible. It didn't tell me that I needed to have wax that wasn't translucent but opaque and white and to pour at a very low temp so the colored chunks wouldn't MELT and BLEED......there were other pictures too but I still learned a lot of other good stuff. When I buy a cookbook, and I have way too many, I find that I am lucky if I find one receipe that I will continue to use.....My favorite cookbook is Frog Commissary....yum....a restaurnat owner told me about that one.

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

A decent guide to candlemaking. The book is rather short on text and consists mostly of pretty pictures, and that's a little irritating. Still, there is enough here to teach you to make your own tapers, although I was rather surprised at how easy it was. Great of you've never done it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Robyn......I ordered the book and it came yesterday. There is nothing of interest on any page. The only thing that is cool is the picture of the swirl candle on the front. You were right. This is by far the worst candle book I have seen. I saw it in Barnes and Nobel years ago and I guess that is why I didn't buy it. This isn't good for advanced people nor beginners. The same kind of technique (I think) is in "The Complete Candlemaker" page 53. It is just a picture of an example of candles made by Bright Lighs, Lower Lake, California. I had their catalog years ago and I have seen those figure candles in stores. It looks like a steric melted and used to decorate the outside. The swirl ball has a melt pool of burgandy, so I think that the pretty lavendar decorations may be painted on with wax. Does anyone know more about this technique? I bought some tapers from a company and sold them in my store. They were vey pretty and had this type of exterior decoration. Donita