What wick to use?

I am new to candlemaking. Yesterday, a lady who bought one of my candles told me that there is a metal wire in my wick. She said metal is not good to breathe. I used a low smoke zinc wick. They were easy to use and stood up straight when I made the candles. They seem to burn nice.

Another person, however, told me that the flame kept going out. I guess that this is because of the wick.

If anyone could tell me their ideas on a wick it would be greatly appreciated.

I use igi 4627 wax.

I add 12% fo.

I use 6 oz salsa jars with a diameter of just under 3".

I add tiny amounts of dye on occasion.

TIA.

Eve

I bought gel candle wicks from Hobbycraft and they had very thin wire wrapped around them, to keep them upright and sturdy I thought. Maybe yours are the same thing.

If you are new to candles you really shouldn't be selling them yet, until they are fully tested and you know they burn correctly and are safe.

Anjie,x.

There's a post on here "somewhere" that discusses zinc wicks NOT being made of harmful metals anymore (lead, etc)....

As soon as you find it, you'll have a correct answer to give that lady and future buyers that may ask the same thing.

I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about and will chime in....

zinc wicks do contain a minuscule amount of lead BUT that amount is negligible to the EPA. They are safe to burn. In fact they are so safe that the government has decided that candles made with zinc wicks don't need a warning label on each individual candle just the box.

If you are having a problem with your wicks drowning out, you need to go up one size and test again. Keep going up until you get the burn you want.

In the future if a customer tells you that you have metal in your wick and its not safe, they are misinformed. You can no longer buy lead wicks nor can any candle made with a lead wick be sold or imported in the US. So now you know.