Inventory

plarel

I am still testing fragrances in soy candles right now but at some point I may be interested in starting a small business. I have given a few candles away and I have had requests. I know it is important to not rush into this and I am not, but I have two questions for those who have businesses already. Question #1: How much product inventory do you keep on hand? Questions #2: How long do you keep candles shelved? It seems easier to build up inventory as opposed to pouring orders as they come in.

Just to answer your questions (because I have volumes I could write that you haven't asked yet and don't want to overwhelm ya!)...

Inventory and shelved candles - Very individual answers for this one. It really depends on how much storage space you have and how much cash flow. I personally do not want to pour 25 Hyacinth jars and then get an order for 24 Hyacinth votives and be low on frangrance. As for shelved inventory, depending on your particular blends, cure time could be a factor and therefore may dictate your premade stock levels.

Best of blessings to you!

Still early days for me and I've not figured out the best way to go. I try to keep a 'very' small stock of everything - small being no more than 6 of anything, just so that I have something to hand should I be asked for it. For me it's nice to have a few to fall back on especially after a busy day at work, so that I can just grab whatever I need for an order and then I try to replace it when I have a bit of time. Still I manage to get caught out many times and end up in a panic when I haven't got something I need and sods law says someone will always ask for what you have the least of.

I can't afford to keep a big stock of fragrance, so for the same reason, I too am loathe to tie up fragrances in candles sitting on the shelf. I only carry a very small selection of regular fragrances (10 or 11) in order to keep it manageable for me, to which I add some monthly specials, seasonal and limited editions, to keep it interesting.

I've no idea how people cope with doing dozens and dozens of fragrances - it makes my brain boggle enough as it is.

It also depends on if you are going to offer "freshly made when you order" products.

I do WAY too many styles of glassware, tins, votives, tarts/melts, tealights and molded/pillar candles to have big bucks tied up in already made items. I am already carrying the cost of several types of wax on hand-- several versions of soy, pillar/tart/votive, starburst palm, feather pal, and soon glass glow container palm.

I also offer custom-made items -- for ex. I can make you a lavender scented candle in green wax since you like lavender but want something green to go with the decor in that particular room. I also do not have a lot of storage space. (except for garage, and that is not a friendly place for my items since I live in FL!)

Just some more items to mull over.....good luck with your business!:)

Well I usually stock up on my best sellers, and new frangrances that I add on.

But it's hard to do that, with little space I have to store candles and also with my best sellers list changing monthly. Last month, I couldn't make Patchouli fast enough, now it's Cucumber Mint.

I say make as many candles you can store and then go from there.

Mindy

I only have one good account and craft shows but I like to have 2 cases of each scent as inventory. I'm going to try and use up all my scents to have candles on hand. And I never have a problem getting rid of them.