Rustic & Mottle Layered Candle

I am going to try and make a rustic & mottle layer candle - I have seen some great ones on the gallery ages ago, but they were all done with mottling wax. I do not have this type of wax, I use straight paraffin. I was thinking of dividing my wax into two portions. In the one add my usual 5% stearic and 4.5% FO for the rustic layers and in the other portion lower the stearic % but increase the FO % to over 5% for the mottle layers. Pour at cool temp as usual. Has anyone tried this? Would there be an easier way to do this i.e. just bump up the FO for the whole portion of wax. Do I need to pour the mottle layers hotter than the rustic ones? Sorry for all the ? but any thoughts, ideas, suggestions much appreciated before I go off and experiment.:smiley2:

Don't know where you got that all the rustic mottles were made with mottling wax as most of them weren't. Just straight paraffin, steric and scent. You'd have to play around with your figures on additives, but you could try it at say 2 heaping T of steric and 1.25 oz of oil per pound. I don't think you need to pour the mottle hotter, if you do then you will have trouble getting the mold cool enough for the next layer (course depends on your layering) and that could result in separation and dents on the outside of the candle pulls away from the side as it cools. hope that made sense.

Thanks Scented, I don´t know why I wrote that all were made with mottling wax, probably just saw a few posts and just assumed that this type of candle was made with this type of wax. :o Anyway, did the candle, and it is cooling downstairs. The mould feels quite warm so not sure how much of the rustic will be evident. Did not want to take a cool cloth to it either as this may interupt the mottling. Will unmould tomorrow and post a pic - probably have a lot more questions.:rolleyes2