Soap Fairies

traceyy

Well I guess I got vistied by the soap fairies. Did my usual recipe went over by lye (see Help thread below) adjusted recipe. Poured lye water into oils (room temperture) and it IMMEIDATELY started hardening. Swirled it with the stick blender, power off just mixing the oils before sb'ing and it went to immediate clumped soapI turned the sb on because I dont know what to do and soap on a stick. Still stick blended through it for about 1 minute and it was a very thick trace (if you could even call it that) tried to save it even though it wasnt worth it. poured green gel tones in which usually works just fine, the soap first wouldnt absorb hardly any of it. Then it turned orangeish brown with a bunch of orange liquid on the bottom of the bowl. WT hell happened?

I bought some PKO from the classifieds and it looked different than what I am used to, a bit thicker flakes a lil darker in color. COuld this be the reason why?

Hard to say without knowing what oils you were using, if you had FO in it or if you used a water discount, etc.

I'm sure it was just fairies. I'm soaping tomorrow, so you'll be safe. They'll be with me all day. ;)

lol well good than I am safe tomorrow!

I used

Castor 3.2

Coconut 6.4

PKO 9.6

Shea 6.4

Grapeseed 6

Stearic .6

Lye 4.8

Water 12

No fragrance never had a chance

Used full water.

I am so sad, lined empty mold

If I had to guess, just glancing at it without running it through a lye calc, I'd bet it was the Stearic but I'm no expert. Hell, I won't even play with stearic in soap. The one time I did, I had an instant block of soap in a bucket.

Don't get discouraged! Dust yourself off and get back on the horse.

I've got a 9lb batch of soap laying on my pour table because of a soap on a stick incident a few weeks ago. It happens to everybody. Tonight I made smurf soap. Don't ask. :D

Hopefully someone will come along and maybe they can see where it may need tweaking.

I really wished I video taped this experience lol seriously it was a THICK soap glob with 2 swirls with the stick blender. Stick blender wasnt on I was just mixing. I will never know how this happened. I dont get it. Maybe the oils were too cool? TOnight when I get home from work I am going to do it again. However with Carries 7 oil recipe, no stearic, no grapeseed, not room temperature, with a safe fo.

My ego can not handle another garbage soap

Tracey, I've used Grapeseed oil in several batches without any problems. You wont be sorry after you try Carries 7 oil recipe .I will use today (has been curing for 4 weeks today). My husband has been using for 2 weeks already (couldnt wait), likes the patchouli scent and I must say his skin is softer than mine now, feels like silk. I've made several more batches using her recipe and I'm stickin with it.

Kari

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracey, I've used Grapeseed oil in several batches without any problems. You wont be sorry after you try Carries 7 oil recipe .I will use today (has been curing for 4 weeks today). My husband has been using for 2 weeks already (couldnt wait), likes the patchouli scent and I must say his skin is softer than mine now, feels like silk. I've made several more batches using her recipe and I'm stickin with it.

So happy to hear that! I had to readjust it a little just because I only do 2lb batches and her percentages didnt work well with my scale lol But I think I finally got it all figured out, now I just have to make sure the fairies are gone or I am going to stab them to death, twice lol