Question for Liquid Soapers

BLSoaps

I've made quite a few batches of natural liquid soap (LS), I use the Cold Process Method, and superfat at 1% (and weigh very very accurately). I use very fresh oils.

There's a reason I prefaced with all of this.... :D

I have a gentleman wanting to buy some LS from me to sell. All of the batches of LS that I've made have this not particularly attractive smell to them. To me, it just smells like oils. And I guess since I'm around that smell day in and day out, it doesn't bother me, and I pretty much don't notice it anymore. However, this gentleman did, and he's asking about it. I've talked with someone else that I know makes a lot of liquid soap, she said this smell is normal. All LS seems to have it, and no one has ever done anything about it, as far as she knows.

Knowing this is always the place to get the fastest answers, I figured I'd ask here. It's not rancid oils, trust me, I know that smell. It doesn't smell bad, at least to me, but it's not pleasant either. I know it can be covered up with FO/EOs.

He also came back saying they've used LS from other places, including B&BW, and they've never had this smell. I'm guessing these weren't true natural liquid soaps. I admit I haven't been inside a B&BWs in years, but I've never seen NATURAL liquid soap from them.

But I'd still like to know if there's anything that CAN be done. Or get the final word, even if it's "Yep, the smell's there, deal with it." :D I know every batch I've made has had it, and I honestly never thought anything of it before this.

Hello, this might sound really dumb, but how do you make liquid soap in a cold process? I didn't know that could be done. I was told that when you make liquid soap it has to be cooked or the lye is not come out or change into soap properly. Maybe I am just way out of my Leage, LOL.... I have always done this method and it has always come out great. I use a large cooker from walmart. I would really be interest in how to make it by cold process. This process takes a long time. http://essencesupply.com/liquid/liquidsoap.html

Monica

Ps, I also make my shampoo this way also.

Basically, the normal way to make liquid soap, via hot process, is like hot process bar soap. It forces the saponification, and it's usable right away because of it.

Cold Process Liquid Soap (CPLS) is like CP Bar Soap (CPBS). You stick blend and stir until it's that nice thick paste and no longer separating. Then it sits and cures for two weeks. Then you dilute. The overall process takes longer, but it's easier for me to make with my boys (6,4,3 - so they're always underfoot). It doesn't need to be watched over nearly as much as the HP method. During the stirring time, once I get it to a thicker consistency, I let it sit for 15-20 minutes at a time, then come and blend again. Once it stops separating, then I know I'm done with Phase One. And for Diluting, I pour Boiling distilled water over the paste in a large bucket, and then stick it back in my cabinets. Usually, a week later it's fully dissolved. It's not fast in the beginning to end stages, but it's less involved, and therefore a time saver for me.

Oh, and I've talked to both HP and CP liquid soapers, and that scent always seems to be there.

To whomever asked about the Olive Oil content...was there a reason why you asked? Some knowledge I don't know about perhaps??? I'd love to know! :D I make it a goal to learn something new every day, and I usually don't even have to go hunting for it! LOL!

ok, I agree with the smell thing. Only done this a few times HP and they all smell no matter what FO I add it just doesn't cover it up. My husband thinks it smells like plastic. I'm not sure what it smells like, it is kinda like a raw batch of regular CP bar soap (one w/o FO) but I hate how you can still smell it even with the FO.

If you don't mind me asking a question on a slightly different subject I am interested in trying this CP cuz I hate wasting a day baby-sitting it while it cooks. Is there any good information sources/tutorials for doing it this way that you have found? I understand the general concept, but does it turn to the same looking paste & do you use the same test methods like doing this HP so you know it has cured? I haven't really seen enough info on doing this this way, but maybe I am just not looking in the right places....why is it I always want to try something new. :undecided

Is there something I am missing? That is a tutorial for regular CP soap right? I was looking for something on the liquid soap method SoapersWorkshop was talking about. Did I miss something on that page?

I've made plenty of regular CP soap. I am working on the liquid soaps right now.

Is there something I am missing? That is a tutorial for regular CP soap right? I was looking for something on the liquid soap method SoapersWorkshop was talking about. Did I miss something on that page?

I've made plenty of regular CP soap. I am working on the liquid soaps right now.

sh1t, I meant to post a link for liquid. sorry!!! now I can't find what I was looking for!

sh1t, I meant to post a link for liquid. sorry!!! now I can't find what I was looking for!

Ok, I was wondering if I was missing something (occaisionally I completely miss the obvious). Thank you for trying!

I've actually never HPd my liquid soap, so I can't compare them at all. The CP process is discussed frequently in this section. If you do a search, it should pull up a thread in which I posted the "instructions" I follow when I make the soap. I don't remember the name of the thread, but I remember that the topic line didn't give you any clue what was being discussed. Put Cold Process Liquid Soap and I'm sure it will come up. It has been some time in the last couple months.