M&P Soap -Too Soft

I tried a recipe I got off the forum and it didn't harden. I used an olive oil base...here's the recipe.

2 Tblsp. Olive Oil

2 Tblsp. Water

2 Tblsp. Milk Powder

2 Tblsp.Honey

1/2 cup M&P Olive oil base

5 drops Lemongrass EO

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Was this too much oil since the M&P was olive oil? It's bad when ya can't get m&p right!!! Ginger

I have never heard of putting water in mp. That also seems like a lot of oils for just 1/2 cup of base. Any additive is going to affect your soap. I would cut all the oils in half and remove the water and see how that goes. I usually only ad 1 teaspoon of liquid oil to 1 lb of mp base.

wow that seems like a super tiny amount of soap for the additives that you have going in. I'm guessing that the water was to mix with the powdered goat's milk to reconstitute it. I've done that before with good results.. I think you just need more soap in there. I have never made such a small recipe, so I'm no good to guess how much you'd even want to try but I would at least double the soap.

A few bars at a time is how I generally do my M&P while im still in the experimental stage, but I definitely agree that is such a small amount of soap for all those TABLESPOONS of oils. I was also under the impression that you could only get away with a few tbls of this or that PER POUND. Maybe switch those tbls to TEASPOONS and see how that works. :smiley2:

ETA: When I make my bitty batches I use capfulls, lol

Yep, what they said. Heavy additive load for 4 oz of base.

I've added distilled water w/ no problems when I've remelted butt fugly stinky soap.

I'm math challenged, so when I want to test, I stick to 8oz of base. Nothing lower. It's just easier for me to cut my ingredients in half.

Maybe you could try again with 8 oz base & 1/2 TBS of everything else, but I'm not skilled in using honey & milk powders so maybe you may have to play around w/ that. I would normally add 1/2 TBS of FO to 8 oz of base, but depending on the strength, you may need less.

HTH

Oh, by the way, if you have some Mango Madness from OT, maybe you could use that instead & send Prairieannie a bar to test for you. She LUUUUUUUVS her some OT Mango Madness! :D

Sharon

Yep' date=' what they said. Heavy additive load for 4 oz of base.

I've added distilled water w/ no problems when I've remelted butt fugly stinky soap.

I'm math challenged, so when I want to test, I stick to 8oz of base. Nothing lower. It's just easier for me to cut my ingredients in half.

Maybe you could try again with 8 oz base & 1/2 TBS of everything else, but I'm not skilled in using honey & milk powders so maybe you may have to play around w/ that. I would normally add 1/2 TBS of FO to 8 oz of base, but depending on the strength, you may need less.

HTH

Oh, by the way, if you have some Mango Madness from OT, maybe you could use that instead & send Prairieannie a bar to test for you. She LUUUUUUUVS her some OT Mango Madness! :D

Sharon[/quote']

No wait, I have a better Idea... instead of the Mango madness, send several naked bars to Beau's Mama! Before you send them, make sure you take them to an elementary school for show and tell! She would be thrilled beyond words!!! :highfive:

No wait, I have a better Idea... instead of the Mango madness, send several naked bars to Beau's Mama! Before you send them, make sure you take them to an elementary school for show and tell! She would be thrilled beyond words!!! :highfive:

OK OK, I quit. You win!

Naked soap :spit: :tongue2: