I want to make some GM Lotion

AkainePSP

I have created an awesome lotion recipe however in place of the water I would like to use GM instead. I love GM and would like to implement it in some of my recipes.

Is there a specific way or time I should add the GM? Are there any special preservatives I should be using? Currently I have some germall plus. And will I need to add more than normal?

Thanks

Kelly

I agree. GM Lotion is VERY VERY hard to preserve. I made a few custom GM bases for some customers, but have since stopped, because honestly, it's one of the few things that scares the CRUD out of me. I haven't had any reports of the batches going bad, but the havoc it wreaks on my nerves isn't worth it.

However, before I agreed to make the first batch, I sought advice from someone I highly respect in our field. It was recommended to not go above 10%, actually to stay closer to 5%. After letting her know which preservatives I had and used, she recommended a blend of Optiphen and LiquaPar Optima, and they HAD to be used at their max amounts, no matter what. And even then, absolutely no guarantees.

It is possible, but do lots and lots of research, and have it tested before you sell it. Good luck! It can be great stuff, but it can be very scary to make!

For now I would like to just make this for myself. But I'll give it a whirl one of these days and see what happens. I think what I will do is keep some to use but also put some in a container to see how long it lasts before going bad. What are the signs of a bad lotion besides mold and maybe smell?

For now I would like to just make this for myself. But I'll give it a whirl one of these days and see what happens. I think what I will do is keep some to use but also put some in a container to see how long it lasts before going bad. What are the signs of a bad lotion besides mold and maybe smell?

Well, breaking out in a huge ole nasty yeastie rash or getting a yucky infection would be a sign and smell and looks may be the LAST thing to show. I make a GM at 10% of the total lotion made using Phenonip and it preserves fine. Add the GM with the water in the liquid phase and heat and hold for 20 minutes at 170 degrees F.

If you do decide to sell it - TEST TEST TEST with a lab for how well your preservative is working.

Bethany