Shrink Wrap Tubing--Which Gauge?

Alajane

To wrap my M&P soap I've been using shrink wrap bags that I bought from Packco, but they're 6x6 and have to be trimmed on 2 sides. So since I need to order some muslin bags for air fresheners anyway, I thought I might as well order some of their shrink tubing--I think that would fit my soaps better (I've requested a sample but haven't yet received either a sample or a response from them).

But I noticed that the bags I've been getting are 80 gauge and the tubing is 100 gauge. I'm assuming the 100 gauge is thicker, but I know with some measurements it does in the other direction, so I'm not sure which is better for soap.

Anyone know which gauge would work better?

TIA,

Jane

Thanks for that info--of course, I forgot to ask part of the question. Do you have the roll holder that you can also buy from them? It looks like it might make the roll easier to handle but I don't know if it's really needed or not.

TIA,

Jane

Thanks for reinforcing that with me--I was thinking this morning that if someone that does as much business as you doesn't have this yet, that I certainly don't need it!! I'm trying to cut back on unnecessary purchases because DH has been out of work since February and we haven't been able to get his company to even start sick leave payments yet! But since it's only $14, I think I'll go ahead.

I'm considering trying this tubing out to seal my muslin bag air fresheners. I currently use zip-loc bags, but this would certainly be less expensive. I figure I'll try it out when I get the roll--just seal the bag inside the tubing and not shrink it. Does that sound feasible?

Thanks again for your input.

Jane

That's what I thought--1,500 feet would probably last more than my lifetime if I only use it for soap. That's why I plan to try it out on the air fresheners--I go through spells where I sell lots of them, then maybe none for a couple of months. But I have orders for about 50 in a couple of weeks so I'll need to order muslin bags anyway--figured I'd get it all at the same time (which doesn't matter as much with Packco because I love their free shipping!!)

Alajane:

I had my dad made me a holder for my roll of shrink wrap out of wood scraps. It kinds of looks like a toilet paper holder only pointing up. There's a square base that is laying on the table with arms sticking up and then a cross bar to hang the roll of shrink wrap from. This works really nice and didn't cost a thing -- now if you all had a wood-working dad to make things like this for you!!

Susan

I bought the roll and the holder and it definately helps dispense the tubing easier. It's large enough for me to add some ribbon rolls to it also. I think it is a good investment. Have you noticed that the shrink tubing becomes slightly rubbery once rapped around a product with FO after a few months? I'm not sure what to do about this. The only downside with the tubing is it smells terrible!

SoyKandles, my DH USED to do some wood working but he now has so much junk in his workshop he can't get to the woodworking stuff!! I'd love to get him back to it!

Marsbars--that's a great idea about adding ribbon rolls to it. I have so many rolls of ribbon I'm always needing more spots, so I'm glad you suggested that. Does the tubing smell worse than the regular shrink wrap? The only thing I've used it for is soap and gift baskets and never noticed a smell--so I may be sorry I ordered this!!

I'm hoping the shrink wrap roll from Packco is the same as the one from the Shrink Wrap Store. I got a sample for the SWS and really liked it, but decided to order this from Packco since I was placing an order with them anyway, That may have been a mistake!

Thanks for your input.

Jane

Humm, I'm not too sure about them smelling better/worse than another company's as I have only purchased from Packco. The smell is bad when you first open up the box it arrives in, it's very overwhelming or anytime you store the roll in a closet or something. The only time when I can smell it is when it's wrapped on a product and I have a bunch of them stored such as when I wrap my tarts. I usually store them in individual boxes per their scent and when I open the box up you definately can smell it! I'm thinking about switching the packaging of my tarts b/c of this. The 1500" roll lasts me about 9mo just for my tarts.

HTH

My box arrived Friday and when I opened it, sure enough, the smell was horrible!! But I wrapped a test bar of soap and couldn't smell it on the individual bar--may be different when there are a bunch of them in a box!

Thanks so much for the input.

Jane