Why votives are called votives?

yes this could be an idiot question but here votive candles aren't similar to what you call votive. I think you call them votives because of the origin.. or not?

I'm thinking to try my hand at votives but i can't find an italian name for them, if i call them "votives" people would expect a red transparent container with a white unscented candle to be lit on tombs.. I'm searching the intenet but italian candle producers don't have anyting similar to the votives I see here and I'm used to.

Do you have another name for them? I don't know where to start.

TIA

I was raised a Catholic, and what we now call votives were used then in our church (but white, unscented, often in a coloured glass cup). People would give a donation to light a candle in someone's memory, the votives were the small ones, and there were larger ones as well. I think that the votives that are available everywhere now have evolved from that type of votive. People have just added scents and colour to them, to make them more sellable.

If you want another name for them, make one up, or add to the word "votive" - house votive - whatever.

Good luck.

Yes, as doris says votive candles are named after the original religious or ritual purpose. The ones in the churches can be molded or poured. The ones poured in the tall cylindrical containers are votives too, sometimes called seven day votives or sanctuary candles. The little molded unscented ones are very popular here in bars and restaurants. Of course, the ones we usually talk about on CT are made with additives to help them hold a lot of scent.

We have an upscale candle brand here called Votivo. I think that's the Italian word, but for you it might not refer to a candle.

it's the same thing here, but we don't have yet the "new" concept of votives, scented anc colored. yes it's a derivation we don't have yet.

My question was stupid. Aftare all we don't even have tarts but i found out a name for them.

Good idea Doris on the name, but translated into italian doesn't sound good to my ears.

Ok it's a starting point!

Thanks!

This morning I remembered I had a Yankmee brochure, so I gave it a look and found how they name theirs.

It's a common name and not TMd so I think I could use the same.

Or maybe a new name.. still haven't decide.

Thanks all!