Wet spots and scent throw!

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am new to making candles of any kind and I have chosen to make soy candles. In some of my testing I have found wet spots in my containers and when I burn them the scent throw is real low.....could you all help me figure this out? I am using EL Millenium wax.....which so far I do like other than the above mentioned problems. I may try a different wax if need be but want to try everything I can first with this wax. Also,what is a good wick size for an 8 oz. apothecary jar or an 8 oz. jelly jar....I really do appreciate your help.

BW,

Mike

P.S.

I have preheated my jars even and I still have the wet spot problem....heated in the MW for 30 seconds.....maybe longer is needed????

I am by no means an expert here but I have found that I get more wet spots in my containers if I get impatient and pour my wax before it gets slushy. I am using Simply Soy 100% soy. As far as the scent throw I normally use about 1oz pp (most of my scents are from Peaks) maybe a little more in lighter scents and maybe a little less on heavier scents but I usually get a pretty decent throw. I, personally have come to the conclusion that one 8oz jj will probably not "smell up" an entire house. Or maybe it should :rolleyes2

Wet spots have been called the nature of the beast for soy wax, inevitable. As for your scent throw I think you need to cure the candle, let it sit, for a number of days. Each wax has it's own time but off hand I would say a week before burning. Unless you are just testing the wick. What kind of wick are you using? I use a variety for that jar, 51C, CD10, LX20.

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am new to making candles of any kind and I have chosen to make soy candles. In some of my testing I have found wet spots in my containers and when I burn them the scent throw is real low.....could you all help me figure this out? I am using EL Millenium wax.....which so far I do like other than the above mentioned problems. I may try a different wax if need be but want to try everything I can first with this wax. Also,what is a good wick size for an 8 oz. apothecary jar or an 8 oz. jelly jar....I really do appreciate your help.

BW,

Mike

P.S.

I have preheated my jars even and I still have the wet spot problem....heated in the MW for 30 seconds.....maybe longer is needed????

El Millenium is not soy wax it is made of veggie blend. It is their alternative to soy. (I am not saying that it doesn't because I don't know for sure.) I too have tested this wax.

I ended up going with their container wax and I love it. But to help with the wetspots you will need to pour when the wax is really slushy almost to the point where it is set up. That will help alot. As for scent throw let them cure for at least 3 days to a week. How much fragrance did you use? I used 1 oz pp and I got ok throw with it.

If you are going to heat your jars I recommend doing it in the oven not the MW. You will get an even heat with the oven.

A good wick to start with would be maybe htp-83 or htp-93 depending on the fragrance use. I actaully got really good melt pool with the 83's for some weird reason. And that was in the jj. Can't help you on the other container.