Has anyone used Liquid Lye...

Crystala25

It's at his warehouse so I'm not sure of the exact ingredients. He believes it to be pure sodium hydroxide, He uses it to make cleaning chemicals hand soaps for kitchens, detergents for laundries, etc and thats one of the ingredients. I would think it would have water to it also, but he doesn't think so. I will have him check the labels and will let you all know.

From what I've read online if it is liquid it is mixed with water. (still waiting to see what he says though) He can get so many different oils and stuff, he just doesn't like to ever share this info. with me, I always find out by reading through his product descriptions. I will post back tomorrow though.

You'll have to find out the concentration of the mixture to calculate how much to use. For example, if a soap calculator says you need 3 oz of lye, and what you have is a 50% lye solution, you'd need 6 oz of the liquid to get your 3 oz of lye. The MMS calculator at http://the-sage.com allows you to select a liquid lye.

Thank you for the information. I think I will have to try this stuff out and see what happens once I figure out whats in it.

You'll have to find out the concentration of the mixture to calculate how much to use. For example, if a soap calculator says you need 3 oz of lye, and what you have is a 50% lye solution, you'd need 6 oz of the liquid to get your 3 oz of lye.
That's true, and if the concentration is too low, you might end up with too much water in your soap. If the concentration is higher, you can just top off with extra water to get the appropriate amount for your batch.

Okay he checked and the liquid lye is 50% water solution, but he told me that one of his suppliers has lye beads also and he gets them in 50 lb. bags at a time. Not sure what I am going to do with a 50 lb. bag, but depending on the price it might be worth it.

If they have the beads also, that may be a more versatile option because sometimes you may want to use some other liquid than water. Lye doesn't go bad as long as you keep moisture out of it, so if you have a way to store the excess, it might be the most economical option to get the 50 lb quantity.