Soy Candle and amount of stearic?

OK - I finally started the candle I am suppose to be testing for a wedding...

I searched the forums and found a thread regarding this...from what I can tell, I am suppose to be figuring 5% stearic. If I fill it 2/3 full, it is 25 oz of Enchanted Lites Millinium soy, no fragrance, no color.

When I did my calculations, I came up with 1.25 oz of stearic. Is that right? It seems like so much!

Thanks in advance...I am so new to soy and have never worked much with additives.

Jane

PS - At one point, I had either found a sheet, or someone emailed it to me, that calculates percentages of FO, Stearic, etc. Does anyone remember this? Can you tell me where to find it?

Oh, for goodness sakes, where the heck did I read I had to add it??? LOL I totally SCARE myself sometimes....lol

Thanks!

P.S. Still looking for the sheet to help figure precentages for FO's, etc. If anyone can help, I will be forever grateful!

Jane42,

Here is the sheet I found here and has been an invaluable tool to help me with my calculations. It takes the guess work out of the whole measurement thing.

http://www.enchantedforestproducts.c...20SheetV3a.xls

Below is a thread talking about it.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46857&highlight=excel

If you need any help, feel free to ask, I use it everyday and LOVE it!

Erin

Went into the General Candlemaking forum and bumped a post from Number2of7 titled "Did I calculate this correctly?" That one stuck in my mind too. Pretty sure it's the one you were looking for.

TopOfMurrayHill - She is one smart and easy to understand cookie :cool2: ! !

Hope it helps.

Some put steric in the votive blend, maybe that is what you saw? I use 3%.

Awww, that is sweet of you to try make it look like I am not totally losing my mind, but it is too late....lol

Somewhere along the way, I read that stearic aids in smoother tops. Since I have such a difficult time getting past the bumpy tops, I thought I needed to add stearic. Now I go back to reading and realize that it also aids in hardness and mold release...so it's good for votives and pillars. Nowhere do I find I should be using it in jars, so perhaps I just ASSumed it would help...lol

This is what happens when I try to multi-task.....lol

Thanks, all, for the help - and as soon as I get home I am going to check out the links you posted...can't wait to try them out!!

Jane

Went into the General Candlemaking forum and bumped a post from Number2of7 titled "Did I calculate this correctly?" That one stuck in my mind too. Pretty sure it's the one you were looking for.

Hope it helps.

Now you made me spit out my coffee - topofmurrayhill is a guy...:D

Hope it helps.

By the way Topofmurrayhill is a guy!!! and Yes HE is one smart cookie and a sweetheart!!!!

Katinka we posted at the same time,,,,LOLOLOL