Lotion scrub?

SoapDiva

I've been entertaining the thought of combining a lotion with sugar, to create a moisturizing sugar scrub.

Not an original idea I know, but I have a few questions.

Will adding sugar and perhaps a little more oil compromise the preservative that is already in the lotion?

Sugar and Salt will not hold up in a Lotion. The water in the lotion will break down the emulsion, or end up dissolving. You'll need to use something non-soluble. Jojoba beads are perfect (and lots of fun to put colored ones in a white lotion), and some of the new microscrub beads that are coming out now.

you can create an emulsifying sugar scrub. do a search for emulsifying scrub and a few recipes will come up.

The Emulsified Scrubs will still only work with sugar or salt if NO water is added to the scrub base. If water is added to make it a cream or a lotion, then it ends up an absolute mess. Ask me how I know? :D

• 5 months later...

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I have to share my experience with this.

I experimented with something like this last night. I started out with a bit of body cream, added shea to it... some moisturizing oils... and I whipped that baby up until it got nice and creamy. Then I started adding the sugar. I also added apricot kernel meal and jojoba beads. At first, I added too much sugar. So I added a bit more body cream. Yes... the sugar seemed to dissolve after adding more body cream. So what did I do? Added more sugar... LOL I did a small amount at a time, until I got it back to the consistency I was looking for. It's thick and creamy, and the sugar has held up so far overnight. I will keep it covered in the bowl and keep an eye on it... to see if the sugar starts to dissolve and to make sure this holds up. I tried it on my hands at the sink... OMG!! This is what I've been searching for! The feel that it leaves on your skin... not greasy at all! And left my skin soft. I can't wait to try it in the shower. :D

You may as well just make an emulsified scrub, rather than adding a lotion base to oils and butters etc. The lotion is just an unnecesary (sp?) Added expense.

The emulsified butters and oils make it great lotion like consitency all on their own. ;)

You may as well just make an emulsified scrub, rather than adding a lotion base to oils and butters etc. The lotion is just an unnecesary (sp?) Added expense.

The emulsified butters and oils make it great lotion like consitency all on their own. ;)

I know, but I can never get the consistency and moisturizing feeling I'm looking for with an emulsified scrub. I've tried. :( I'd love to have that "silky" feeling still on my skin after showering. The consistency,texture, and the feel of the scrub that I did last night came out like I imagine a scrub to be... thick, creamy (body butter) moisturizing.

Maybe adding the correct skin-softening ingredients (cetearyl alcohol... etc.) to an emulsified scrub would give me the feeling I'm looking for. Don't know, I'll have to try it... as soon as my order comes in. :D