Palm Tarts

I finally took the plunge and bought some palm wax today. I want to try out tarts with the life of the party candy molds for chocolate. Does anyone know what kind of temperature they can handle? I'm suppose to pour at 190. I usually use them for soy, but I pour at around 100.

I was wondering about this. I have palm feather and palm crystal and I'm done with pillars. I don't want to make them and was wondering if I could just use it to make Melts (Tarts)? That way I don't have to worry about wicking...lol. Can I do this with this wax?

I've gotten palm tarts in swaps before, and they worked very well. They were made in the standard metal tart molds, though; I don't think the plastic chocolate molds would stand up to the required temps. The one thing I did notice about them is that they seemed to get scuffed up easily, once they were removed from the molds; so this could be a problem if you were selling them. If I were doing it, I'd probably try pouring them in the mini muffin liners. Just have to try it and see if the paper/foil would peel off easily.

Edited to add that you may be able to shrink wrap the tarts and keep them looking nice that way. The ones I had gotten were just in small ziploc bags, and parts of the edges had crumbled off, making the bag look a little messy.

I've gotten palm tarts in swaps before, and they worked very well. They were made in the standard metal tart molds, though; I don't think the plastic chocolate molds would stand up to the required temps. The one thing I did notice about them is that they seemed to get scuffed up easily, once they were removed from the molds; so this could be a problem if you were selling them. If I were doing it, I'd probably try pouring them in the mini muffin liners. Just have to try it and see if the paper/foil would peel off easily.

Edited to add that you may be able to shrink wrap the tarts and keep them looking nice that way. The ones I had gotten were just in small ziploc bags, and parts of the edges had crumbled off, making the bag look a little messy.

This is SOOO true!! I have now gone to doing the melts in the clamshells because they do crumble! AS for using chocolate molds, tried it but you have to pour at lower temps so you don't get the crystalizing. (In case anyone was thinking about doing the melts with cookie cutters, the palm doesn't work for that either!!:D Too hard & brittle.)

ok...probably a stupid question but what if you add a little soy to soften the palm wax?

cringing as I click on submit..lol

That's actually not a stupid question :wink2: Here is what Just by Nature has under their palm wax:

You can add 5% (3 tablespoons per pound) of NatureWax C-3 Soy Container Wax to soften and change the appearance of the Palm Wax crystals.

I bet it would work!

I think that would defeat the whole purpose of the effects of Palm wax if you added soy to it. You want that pretty feathering effect. Then why not just use soy if you don't want the feathering? I have a ton of chocolate molds and yes you can melt them. I have pushed far enough just with GB416 and it clouds the molds from the heat. Feather palm wax would make pretty tarts. I love the look of that wax.