What's the best way to avoid wet spots on candles?

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows the best way to avoid "wet spots" on candles, where the candle wax doesn't quite adhere to the container on certain areas of the glass? Is it because the glass is too cold, inconsistent heat, or something else? Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :smiley2:

It comes from shrinkage - the less your wax shrinks as it sets up, the less "gap" you will see. Really soft waxes usually have less wet spots. Warming up the jars just makes the wax take a bit longer to set up - but eventually all things being equal the candles will become the ambient temperature of the surrounding environment and once the wax becomes solid it is going to be smaller than the container you poured it into. I find they are less obvious in the warmer temperatures. There is really no way around it - unless you find a wax that does not shrink at all! LOL

Actually a container can set up fine. BUT if you put it into A/C I will bet you that you WILL have wetspots on some of them. Go into wal-mart in the summer and look closely,,they get wet spots too,,,Prairieannie told me when I was a newbie,,,EMBRACE you Wetspots,,,sometimes you will get them and sometimes you wont.:D

In my experience as long as the jars are not ice cold, pour with jars at room temp, then when they set up enough move them to a room that is at least 75 degrees, and they will cool slowly enough you won't get any wet spots.

At least till you take them into a colder room, then they will wet spot like crazy! I guess they cannot be totally avoided without taling alot of time consuming steps.

I have noticed though, that if you put a jar candle on a warmer, after repeated heating/cooling cycles, the color is very uniform, no frosting, and no wet spots! Even after putting in a cold basement. Probably has to do with the tempering that occurs with the repeated heat/cool cycles.

Hmmmm. Sound like time for some Mad Scientist action! Bwahaahaahaa!

geek :grin2: