Melted soy turned brown

Is it normal for melted soy wax to turn a brown color when heated and cooled repeatedly? I am using 464 and if I don't use the entire batch of wax at one time, turn off and re-heat it becomes brownish color in my presto and turkey fryer. I keep my wax temp at 180*. Is this a sign it may be overheated or is it normal? Does it cause wicking issues into a finished candle?

I did a search but am not the best at key words for searching. I really need some input here - PLZ :undecided

Brenda... Call your supplier...

It should not be turning brown if you are just reheating it to 180..

Now if you said 210+, then you would be overheating it and it might discolor.

I have heated my wax to 200 with no discoloration.

Let us know what you find out...:cool2:

Only time I've had soy wax turn a golden brown I had overheated it... didn't realize the knob had gotten turn wayyyyyyyyyy up. If you are sure you didn't overheat it... something is wrong.... I'd call the supplier too...

Take care,

Chele

Make sure you are checking the temp of your melted wax with a thermometer. Just because you have the temp calibrated up to 180 doesn't mean it is 180. Its overheating the wax and turning it brown. It doesn't make a difference in the performance but sometimes it will throw an oily smell if overheated to much, kind of like deep frying grease.