Is Crisico

candlenose

a hard oil? lol , please dont laugh. Ive been trying to come up with a recipe for the oils I have at home.. Ive read http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3164 on how to do this.

But she mentioned Palm, and I dont have that. I have the coconut and lard.

Soft oils would be.....(can I use all of these?) castor, olive, safflower.Reading up on superfat. I plugged in this, but dont know if it will work.After reading for hours....Im confused..lol.

Water - 6.99

Lye - 2.63

Safflower - 1.6

castor oil - 3.2

Coconut oil - 6.4

Crisico - 1.6

Olive oil - 3.2

superfat is at 5%..is there too much coconut oil?

I used to make soap years ago.....but it wasnt this hard back then...lol. Im just feeling my age..lol.

No expert here...but what you have is:

Safflower - 1.6 10%

castor oil - 3.2 20%

Coconut oil - 6.4 40%

Crisico - 1.6 10%

Olive oil - 3.2 20%

hardness - 38

cleansing - 27

conditioning - 56

bubbly - 45

creamy - 29

A few good rules of thumb I picked up (though rules are broken!):

Castor should be around 5-10%

Coconut oil should be around 15-20% or it can be too drying

Do you have any butters? Like Shea or Cocoa? Those are good "hard" oils for 5-10%. And yes, Crisco is "hard". I'm pretty sure it means solid at room temp...someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (My coconut has been liquid lately! It's HOT here!)

Safflower 20%

Olive 20%

Castor 10%

Crisco 25%

Coconut 25%

hardness - 31

cleansing - 17

conditioning - 64

bubbly - 26

creamy - 23

Hmmm....I might have to try this one! LOL. Hope I helped a bit!

Hugs,

Donna

I'm a lard gal - can't seem to find a bar I like without it. Don't like Crisco nearly as well, but it is considered a hard oil, but not as hard as Lard or tallow.

For the most part anything that is solid at RT in a hard oil. Olive oil tends te be the exception - once saponified it's pretty hard.

I generally keep coconut at 20%.

Start simple Try this -

Lard 60% (or you can do 30% Lard/ 30% crisco)

Safflower, soybean (aka vegetable oil), or canola 20%

Coconut 20%

Punch these numbers into the calculator and get the specifics. This will make a pretty hard bar. Fun to make because you aren't nickle and diming every little oil.

This is my very basic recipe. Folks around here love it.

Bethany

You can keep the crisco in if you want. You could do 20% coconut, 15% lard, 15% crisco. I find the Armour brand of lard doesn't smell quite as "piggy" as Morell. (Those are the only two brands where I live.)

From what I gather....and how I described it to DH......if you have 0% superfat...that means that that is the EXACT amount of lye to saponify the oils. EXACT. No extras. (And if you add too much lye you'll be sorry!) So, if you have a 5% superfat...that means that the lye saponified 95% of the oils...leaving 5% left over for your conditioning / moisturizing qualities. I could be wrong...but that's how what I read in Soaper's Companion translated into English for me. :laugh2: Now...I have ZERO clue what oils added at trace does to that equation....lol.

Donna

I soap everything at 5% superfat and they are hard bars. 5% would be more conditioning than 3%, see? No, never greasy. If it were greasy then you messed up with your lye amounts.

About taking out the crisco, I would, but I am VERY partial to Lard myself!

I use morrel and have used other brands as well and my soaps are not piggy at all (and I own pigs so I know that smell, LOL!) even the unscented ones.

One thing I do do with lard is try not to over heat it. - I think then you will have some fried smelling stuff - never happened to me personally - even when I've heated it pretty darn hot, but I heard it can. I melt it on a little higher than medium and turn off the stove when there are just a few chunks left. Usually melts up pretty fast.

So just go to a good calculator like www.soapcalc.com, plug in your percentages with a 5% superfat (that's the default anyway) and get soapin' sista! I've found that they best way to figure out what you like is to make it and try it!

Have fun!

Bethany

I use tap.

Colorants have varying reactions to different pH levels - so unless you use a soap dye (for CP, that is) you will likely end up with something completely different than you started with...

There are threads on both these topics around so if you are curious you can do a search