Thread in inbeds?

linda43204

Are you using an embed with a little loop on the top? If so, when you're confident that the gel has set so that the embed won't sink, just pull one end of the thread. Sometimes it might leave a slight sign of where the thread is, but it's very slight. A lot of times it will disappear with a little bit of heat gun use or by sitting in some sunlight.

oops, sorry, now I'm confused :undecided I guess I don't understand what you're describing. I thought you were talking about maybe fish, etc., (glass) that are sometimes made with a little loop on the top allowing you to use a thread to suspend them in the gel so that they'll be "swimming."

Those are a pita, but it can be done. I wait until my gel is very firm and then position my fish. I give it a little push. It will then start to sink a little. The trick for me is in the timing, and I also can't walk away from it. If I've waited to long and the gel is too set, I use a heat gun to get it to sink.

If someone has a better way, please speak up. I've got some really beautiful fish with no loops that I keep putting off using. This is a very time-consuming process for me.

When I want to suspend fish, I pour in layers. I'll do a first pour, let it set up...whip out my heat gun and heat it up just a tad so the bottom of the fish will stick in the "goo"...then do another pour and so forth. Might sound like a lot of work, but really it's not when you're doing a bunch of gel candles in one night. The gel usually sets up pretty quick when you pour it in small layers like that.

HTH