Big Dogs Watching Over Us...

According to the hershey company - their trademark(s) apply to candles as well as chocolate. In a c&d letter I just received from them, it says" The kisses trademark and trade dress are protected by a variety of state, federal and common laws, including, but not limited to federal trademark reg. nos 2815737 and 2757584 which are specifically in connection with candles"

ok, i'm trying to understand this whole trademark stuff... so what if you did something like "mom's best sugar cookies" or something else like that? for candles/lotion etc?

can you still use part of the name if you add something else before or after?

i can see the names that require some "thought" but geesh.. sugar cookie, flower names, that's a little riddiculous...

of course, then i can have some original names and no one will be able to know where i got my scents because they will have been renamed. lol!!!

TIA!!!

When you apply for a trademark you have to choose one catagory. I forget what they all are but some examples are; books, textiles, food, cosmetics, scents, etc. Each catgory is a seperate trademark and you are charged seperately for each catagory. Each trademark is about $400.00 (I forget exactly how much it is now. It just went up in price though.) If you are refused the trademark, you lose your money! No refunds.

So, if Yank** wants to trademart a candle called "Horse Sh*t" they will have to apply for and pay for a trademark in the scents catagory. Then, if they want to trademark a cookie called "Horse Sh*t" they will have to apply for and pay for a trademark in the food catagory. If Ms. Crocker beats them to the "Horse Sh*t" cookie idea she can still apply for and pay for a trademark for said "Horse Sh*t" cookie, in the food catagory, even though Yank** has the "Horse Sh*t" trademark in the scents catagory. :D

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: LMAO too funny. I think I will trademark that for a candle scent.