Word of warning to the new makers and molds!

When they warn you the edges of molds are sharp, they aren't lying!

I was twisting a wick pin out of a mold, and thought I was being careful but noooooo.... I sliced my right middle finger on the end knuckle to the bone. And it wasn't that hard to do, it was a gently forced twist.

4 stitches later, and a lot of yelling at the mold, I've learned NOT to hold my mold's that way! :D

yowza :shocked2: hope you're feeling better now.

Is the mould dented from hitting the wall ;)

and I was only just thinking I must try and get another metal mould, having probs getting my candle out of a plastic one, yet again!

you need some TLC

((((((((((((miss mary)))))))))))

Yeah, I'm doing fine, it's only covered by a band aid, now that the major bleeding is done, but the ironic thing is I didn't quite notice right away how bad it was, felt like a papercut!!!

I notice a dribble on the floor, look at my hand and try to doctor it up myself, but it wouldn't stop bleeding!!

Those darn votive molds used to get me! I even wore gardening gloves......sliced right through that and to my finger! Luckily, no stitches needed but it HURT!! LOL

After a couple years of wiping out each mold after use, we just started putting the darn things in the oven and calling them "clean" :wink2:

So sorry you hurt yourself!

to clean my votive molds I heat it with the heat gun, wad up a piece of paper towel and use a chop stick to move it around the mold to wipe it out.

Ditto...after having my hands look like I was fighting I went to the heat gun and paper towel. No stitches but that's what glue and tape are for...:D

I hate it when you get new ones that were shipped stacked and end up stuck together.

I had to have the husband take them to work and have a pipe fitter use his tools to take them apart and they roll the edges. :lipsrseal

I clean them all in the oven and wipe them out with a wooden spoon, or heat gun it, but this was twisting the wick pin out of (what I know now sucks to do) non scented and colorless pillars, I did it this way for all the others I poured... but this was the first that had edges!

I think I'll take that sandpaper idea, maybe hubby can do it for me. I've injured myself enough this week.

yep, the sand paper usually works really well. Now granted they are still sharp, but not as sharp. We rub the paper on them vertically instead of horizontally if that makes any sense. That way it's not cutting the sandpaper and defeating the purpose. HTH!!!

So sorry to hear about your cut! Makes me wince to think about. I have metal molds from several suppliers. Some have nice, folded, finished edges. Others are a sharp as razors. The votive cups are ludicrously sharp. I personally do not understand WHY suppliers sell products that are so obviously dangerous... Even if it added a little to the cost of the molds, people would be delighted to pay a little extra for molds that save on ER visits!!

I keep meaning to get out my electric grinding wheel and try to smooth the edges... to be honest, I don't even like to HANDLE the danged things let along make candles from them... I feel like I am walking a tightrope every time I use the sharp ones... Makes me angry - I don't think I should have to sand, grind or wear kevlar gloves to make these safer to use - they should be manufactured that way!!! Perhaps a few complaints to the consumer product safety website would get this problem solved...;)

My pillars are concave, and perfectly round which has no edges and the votive cups are a tad sharp, but I don't even think they could cut the skin.

This was a 5" round fluted pillar roughly 6 inches tall. The base was squared, and I got it from the center of the side wall thingy. I didn't even catch an edge!

I wonder that too Stella... I mean, obviously they are dangerous, but surely a lil bit of sanding on their part would make it safer for chandlers...

I will surely be using mold release now on the mold AND the wick pin!!!