shrink wrapping soap??

ruba

I remember reading somewhere here that if you shrink wrap (such as Dans Bands) your soap, that over time when it loses water, they will become loose. Ok, I have 2 questions...1) How long to soaps continue to loose moisture?? 2) If and when they do become loose can you just hit them with the heat gun again and shrink them a bit more?? I know when I think I've got it shrunk, then I see a spot that doesn't look "perfect" I can just hit it again and it shrinks right up? Is there some knid of time limit??

TIA for any help that you can give me... Lord knows I NEED it:D

Shrink wrap does have a max shrink level. Basically, if you put a small item in a big bag, it won't shrink all the way down to the item. It will only shrink so far. I don't remember the percentage though. I have an impulse sealer, and I just make it as snug as I can so it's not an issue.

I would say the biggest problem you might run into with additional shrinking is whatever kind of label you have on there. If you're using sticky labels on it, it may not shrink up right once the label is adhered. I've never worried about shrinking them again. There are some things I get insanely picky and all perfectionist about, but I knew if I got too picky over this, I'd drive myself insane. Having it a little loose isn't awful, it's isn't even bad. It just is. I've regularly seen handmade soaps in shops with slightly loose plastic packaging. I figure it probably makes it a little easier for the customer to remove anyway.

Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to try it out when I get to that point. I have put my label under the wrap, so thankfully the outside won't be a problem as far as that goes.

Thanks again!

I reshrink mine all the time. They get loose and I just hit them with the heat gun and tighten them back up. I do try to wait and wrap them when they have cured at leat 6 weeks but sometimes I have to have them wrapped before then.....and those are usually the ones that then get loose. Anyway.....Works like a charm!