*sigh* okay here it goes...

billyne

peace ya'll--

i've been working on my website again and i need your opinions..BUT before you look at it, i am not completely done...just need to know if i am on the right track or not. i need to redo my fragrance descriptions and i still need to take pics of my incense and oils--and i'm still trying to figure out a layout for my "shop online" page. why am i scared to give ya'll the link? :o lol..okay, here it is-- http://www.sweetsmellingstuff.com.

Okay, I've got some suggestions:

(a) I really like the banner colors, but I think the banner needs to be bigger. The flowers are pretty!

(B) I like the fact that customers are obviously your #1 priority, but I'm not sure I would put pictures of them on my website. I believe you need their permission and some customers frankly couldn't care less what your customers look like. Sad but true. I personally think your slide show is awesome, but I would fill it with product pictures.

© This is going to sound petty, but on the first page of your website it says 'hi beautiful.' The vast majority of your customers are probably women and some of them may feel it's sexist to be referred to in that manner. It's better to be safe then sorry and just have a general 'hello.':wink2:

(d) I like the 'about me' page. It lends a nice personal touch to your website and lets your customers know who they're working with. I even like the old 70's picture. It reminds me of pics of me and my sister when we were little.

(e) The page with the slideshow is a little confusing. Lots going on. I think you need to use the standard three column layout (like what is used on this website).

It's a great start! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

thank you so much..i agree, that shop online page is chaotic. i was thinking about making buttons (that match my banner) that link to products. and i never thought about that slideshow...duh! of course it should have product pics in it,lol--i'll probably get rid of it all together.

Hi billyne,

Your site looks great, very unique.

I agree with Mei Mei that your banner should be longer, or centered with something else on the left side of it.

Leave the slideshow in! Adding product pics to it is a good idea.

There's something about the layout of the browse category that doesn't sit right with me. Some items are indented, some aren't. Maybe it needs a more uniform layout. Maybe double space in between items?

Best of luck with it, you've done an excellent job.

Oh my.. can't wait to see the scent descriptions on some of your incense scent choices. :shocked2: You may want to add an adult warning on that page just to cover your bases.

As far as the website goes I agree with the others..just a little tweaking and I think you'll be good to go.

Take care,

Chele

When I first visited your site, I felt the image of the two customers were a great first impression and somehow just "worked"...for me. Perhaps it's the black and white photo and the expressions on the face of the women, along with motion captured in the photo. For me-it was artsy...in a professional photograph kind of way.

Your company name is wonderful and the smile and look in the woman's eyes to the right works BRILLIANTLY with Sweet Smelling Stuff. I think that front photo should be a keeper...

After entering your site, I became disappointed. The slide show is not needed, IMHO. The site begins to feel a little to "bloggish" for me. It starts taking on the feel of a "free site" and less professional looking.

If you have the original photo, it would be great if you could leave all of the photo in grey scale, except the product they are "sniffing". Leave your product in color, or make it the color of the flowers in your logo.

Some how...I feel a great deal of professionalism and pride in your product. Perhaps it's the way you describe them...in that...you provide us with a wealth of info, especially on the shea butter products.

I LOVE the new product info, ex.

New Incense Fragrance for Spring..Grape Kool-Aid!

It gives me a sense that I need to come back to see what's new and a feeling that your product line are ever-evolving, which is really neat.

The calendar, etc. That's great.

On the about me page, the dated photo is priceless, imho, but it's missing something. Maybe it's all of the white space. You could also mention which one is you.

If I were you, I'd invest a little cash into the website. Hire a professional designer...because the name of your company is catchy-especially in the candle and b&b world; a really long lasting impression, so your site and product line (pictures) should express that little girl on the couch who had a love for natural products and is now all grown up- and what's she's up to NOW.

That would be a good area for your slide show...

thanks for all of the suggestions..i will have more time tommorrow to work on it ( unfortunately..i am financially embarrassed right now and can't afford to pay someone to do it) but i think after i put in new pictures and change some things i might be okay. enjoy the day!

I think you are doing great on your own! No need to hire someone.

I am on an odd browser, but your "buttons" are pretty long and I have to scroll back and forth from left to right to see everything.

I also love the front picture and the "about me" picture. The look on the customer's face totally says it all.

I do have to agree about the warning on some of scents on the incense, or maybe put them in an "adult only" section that someone has to register in order to see. I guess I just try and think, "What would happen if a mom emailed me because her daughter ran across my page with 'real good p&*sy' on the page and no warning about adult content." In my mind, better to be safe than sorry. JMO. :D

I love the photo on the front page, as well as the family photo on the about us page. I actually liked the "Hi, Beautiful". I thought it was a personal touch. I agree a man saying that may come off as sexist to some, but I assumed it was coming from a woman and that it was meant to be fun.

Some of the pages seemed to need streamlining, but I think most of the suggestions have already been made. Good luck!

Speaking from a liability issue, I would remove this. Someone might get the wrong impression. It is much better to lean on the side of caution.

"Burns cooler than parrafin - less likely to burn if spilled or knocked over."

Personally, I would go back when I was feeling a little less..um...playful...and change many of the Incense names. You might find people that are amused, but without the ability to discern who might stumble onto your site, you well could be offending someone. Of course it is your decision.

Personally, I would go back when I was feeling a little less..um...playful...and change many of the Incense names. You might find people that are amused, but without the ability to discern who might stumble onto your site, you well could be offending someone. Of course it is your decision.

yeah..i tried that before, and my alot of my regular customers wanted them back, so...they're stayin' :grin2: guess i sell to a different crowd. *shrugs*