Repour ??? - please don't kill me

I apparently don't know the trick do doing a search to find what I'm looking for. I end up with tons of posts that will happen to just have the word I'm looking for, but it won't be in the context that I need it in.

So, here's what I need answered....I am looking for answers on how and when to do a repour. Since I'm only attempting to make tarts and container candles, I would be grateful for an explanation of those two.

I have made one batch of tarts. I used foil liners that I ordered from KY Candle Supply. I poured them to the top and the next morning...well, you know how it goes...they had sunk. But, since they were just for my use, I didn't worry about it.

I will be attempting container candles as soon as my wax arrives.

What is the proper way to repour these two types of candles?

Thank you!

The time to do a repour is when your candle is cooled and you have poked relief holes. you heat your wax about 10 degree's hotter than your first pour and fill the candle up to the last point you poured. You dont want to go over that point or you will have lines.

Same with tarts. I have found with them that when you do the first pour you fill until the wax just barely reaches the top of the liner, mold, whatever...and let them cool then just top them off and they will be fine. (you dont need relief holes with tarts.)

With relief holes you want to make sure they arent too small or they will trap air bubbles in your candle. I usually make mine about the width of a butter knife.

Good Luck! Keep at it, it does get easier with time and practice.

Kim

I do a re-pour or top off after my container candles have cooled to touch. Relief holes are not necessary in container candles. As they cool they will contract and a hole will form in the center of the candle around to wick. Sometimes there are holes, sometimes there are just dips, it depends on the weather, temp, etc. Just pull your wicks straight and to center before the top off. The top off will make your candle nice and smooth. For tarts.......they alway dip a bit after cooling, I never top them off.

What type of wax are you using? I am using the parasoy tart/votive blend from KY candle and the liners but I don't have any problems with sinking. It could be a few different factors that will solve the problem without repours.

What type of wax are you using? I am using the parasoy tart/votive blend from KY candle and the liners but I don't have any problems with sinking. It could be a few different factors that will solve the problem without repours.

I'm using the same wax for my tarts. I filled the liners up to the top, but they still shrunk overnight. The only reason I didn't like it is because although the wax settled some, it left some in the ridges of the liner. So, when I peeled off the liner, I had little pointy bits of wax sticking up. For my personal use, not a problem, but should I ever decide to sell them, I just wanted to know how to correct it.

I did just leave them sitting out on the table. Should I have placed them in a box, covered them, or something?

I use the same wax, I find that when you pour slower, you won't have sunk look in with it. I also pour at 140 degree.

HTH

Dani

Hmmmmm....the recommendation was to pour between 150-155. Is it okay to pour cooler than what is recommended?? Obviously it is since you do it, but is it okay to pour other waxes cooler if this happens or just this one type?

I dont usually bother doing repours on tarts. I think they are fine with a little dimple, mine are for personal use also. I give some to my best friend when I make a batch, she doesnt seem to care either:) As for containers, it will depend on your wax if you need a repour.

I'm using the same wax for my tarts. I filled the liners up to the top, but they still shrunk overnight. The only reason I didn't like it is because although the wax settled some, it left some in the ridges of the liner. So, when I peeled off the liner, I had little pointy bits of wax sticking up. For my personal use, not a problem, but should I ever decide to sell them, I just wanted to know how to correct it.

I did just leave them sitting out on the table. Should I have placed them in a box, covered them, or something?

You can buy tart molds if you ever wanted to sell them. As for cooling, the slower they cool generally the less they shrink. So you can cover them with a box:)