Test burning my first candle...

what exactly am I looking for?

I read up on candlescience to look at the melt pool and wick appearance.

My candle is 3.5 in diameter, no color just scent (sugar cookie to be exact). But what about the melt pool am I looking for? And what about the wick exactly am I looking for?

I took a picture when I first lit the candle, and I'm going to take pictures at 2hrs and 4 hrs after lighting.

When I first lit the candle there was a little bit of black soot. Not good? Normal? Also, I'm roughly 45 min into it, and I can't really smell the scent. You could smell the scent just fine when it was cold. I can smell it when I get up real close to the candle.

Thanks so much!

Jen

Is it a container candle or a pillar? If it's a container, the ultimate goal for me is to get a melt pool around the entire perimeter of the jar. This can take a couple of hours. If it's a pillar, I generally go for a melt pool out to about 1/2" from the edge. Are you using pure soy or a blend?

Mama

It's a container candle, pure soy! My melt pool was exactly as you described...whew!! Unfortunately my wick doesn't look like it faired so well...

Is this considered mushrooming?

candlewick.jpg

Yep that's a shroom alright! I've seen them a time or two myself.:D

I noticed your container tapers towards the bottom. If there is no wax leftover on the sides during your first 3+ hour burn, the wick might end up being too hot as you get towards the bottom. Check your melt pool as you get farther down.

I use a container that's pretty much straight down, but I am ok with a bit of leftover wax on the sides after the first burn. It tends to catch up with subsequent burns. Others prefer no leftover wax from the first burn onwards.

Thanks everyone. I figured that's what it was, but just needed confirmation. I'm still trying to learn all the terms.

I looked at the wick guide on candle science, and the wick that came with my kit is considered "acceptable" for the candle diameter, but I may pick up some sample wicks based on what candle science says is the best to use for my size candles.

Tangerine...I will pay attention to the wax when I light the candle again today.

I think my first candle may be a dud in the scent department. I did a few things differently for the second candle I made last night. So we'll see in week how that goes. I'm all about the scent!! Besides the scent I'm extremely proud of my first candle!! :D