Excel File to Help

Hey all,

I was trying to help someone working on percentages and mentioned I use MS Excel to do my calculations. I said I'd share it with the person. I went to check what I have and realized it is way too personal for my production so I created 4 different files that can be used by anyone. This would definately be a beta version and there is a "can't hold me liable diclaimer to this."

Spreadsheets are awesome because you just enter your numbers and voila there's the amounts you need of each ingredient. You must have MS Excel (Office XP or later) to use this. It won't work with microsoft works.

Also, I got to thinking, if people wanting a more personalized version of this, I would be willing to negotiate a fee for this kind of service. Never thought about it before and will post this on the classified section or the business section after I think more about it.

But for anyone that wants a free copy of this one, email me and I'll send it to you. Two notes, 1. You need Microsoft Excel (had to say that again) and 2. This is only for soy wax candle makers because it is only set up for 1 pour and not 2.

Thanks

dave

That is interesting, the one I just made is a lot more straight forward and better suited for test or figuring your wax blend if you blend your wax first before mixing. And, it is good for figuring how much stuff you'll need for 1 style (size and scent) of candle.

I am a little confused with the enchanted lights one because it is not broken down by style of candle in regards to scent. It gives you the amount of wax you'll need, but not for the individual scents. It appears the only practical way to use it is to do a batch with 1 scent which leaves me to ask why have space for 3 different types of scent?

The one I've created for myself has all styles of candles available and all scents. Then a,b,c,d,e,f,g scents corespond with the different sizes. That way, if you enter 2 "a" scent 26oz, 2 "a" scent 16oz, 1 "b" scent 26oz...etc. etc. then it will give you all measurements for what you are needing to make broken down by scent. I also have it connected with a book that analyses the cost per candle, how much I charge and the percentages I make off each style. There is also an inventory tracker, all my scents are priced in..etc. etc

Unfortunately, I do not have a generic spreadsheet made up, and it would take a lot of time to create one. Plus, it would take time to explain to people how it all works. That is why I would have to charge people to customize one for them. But, I hope the one I made will work for some.

I am a little confused with the enchanted lights one because it is not broken down by style of candle in regards to scent. It gives you the amount of wax you'll need, but not for the individual scents. It appears the only practical way to use it is to do a batch with 1 scent which leaves me to ask why have space for 3 different types of scent?

Actually it does but it also give you the ability to create your own blends. If you change the peak scent to a different percent then click out of that box and look straight down it gives you how much you need of that scent to make that batch. If you put 0 in the other columns you get it for one scent or you can mix your own.

Here is an example I want to make a blend of 2% Lavender, 3% Orange and 1% vanilla which would give me 6% FO load

I would then use

0.80 oz Lavender

1.20 oz Orange

0.40 oz Vanilla

For a 2lb 8 oz batch

The one I've created for myself has all styles of candles available and all scents. Then a,b,c,d,e,f,g scents corespond with the different sizes. That way, if you enter 2 "a" scent 26oz, 2 "a" scent 16oz, 1 "b" scent 26oz...etc. etc. then it will give you all measurements for what you are needing to make broken down by scent. I also have it connected with a book that analyses the cost per candle, how much I charge and the percentages I make off each style. There is also an inventory tracker, all my scents are priced in..etc. etc

The batch size take care of that

You just list each of your style that you are using and the amount of wax for 1 completed candle in the in the wax weight then all you have to do type in how many of what you are making and it gives you how much wax/Fo/Aditives you will need to make that amount of candles. Then you tranfer that amount to the Batch calculator and then fill in what needs to be filled in and what you don't want or need for that batch just make sure a 0 is in those places.

So what you are really asking people to pay for is really right here for free.

I see, this is if you blend your own scents, but you still only get 1 style of candle in the analysis, and what I have for FREE is something that is almost identical. But, if you have 10 different scents in your product catalogue, then you need to fill out this data for all of your different scents. If you have apple spice and banana nut bread to make, then you need to fill out everything for the apple spice, print that out or write it down, then you need to do the same for the banana nut bread. The one I have for myself has a list of all scents and all sizes and all you have to do is go to the page that list all the scents and all the sizes and type out how many apple spices you're making in all the styles..how many bnb's your making in all the styles, how many patchouli in all the styles,etc, etc. and then you go to a sheet called "Combined Pours" which will list on one page how much wax, additive, and scent you will need for apple spice, how much of everything you need for bnb, etc. You only have to go to one place and type your quantities for all the candles you will be making and all the data is available on one 1 page for all scents. Its a 1 time thing. This took me linking books for every size that I have that list all the broken down %'s for each scent which isn't even close to what the enchanted lights book does.

And, I have a sheet that analyses the cost of each candle and how much percentage you make selling them at different prices. And, a sheet that ties all of this in to keeping track of inventory.

Thanks for your comments, but I just don't want to be regarded as someone that is trying to make money off of something that is available for free, especially since I spent about 3 hours doing something that is for free and is geared for the beginner. But, to do something that will make the life of a larger candle company easier will cost money because their needs will be different than another companies in most cases. And, what I could offer is a dramatic improvement over what the enchanted lights book does.

A pretty extensive one is offered up right here for free

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27805

http://www.enchantedforestproducts.com/Pics/Wax%20Batch%20SheetV3a.xls

If you will look at the bottom of that spead sheet you can flip between batch caculator and batch size.

I have been using this spreadsheet since I started making candles. It is very easy to use once you figure it out. I have even added to this sheet converting the oz to grams in a separate box, a place to put notes, etc. This has been an invaluable tool for me, I don't need to figure out % and such, this does it for me. For larger batches, just figure out how much wax you need on the first worksheet, transfer that to the 2nd worksheet, Put in the date, scent name, & any other notes you want and print that out. Then you have record of each batch. Works Great!