Rustics Makin Me Crazy

tucker

Please help an old man. I'm trying desperately to get these things to look half decent and each one seems worse than the last. I'm using 4625 wax and do first pour at 145 and the following pours at 150. The first three I made were close, but now, I'm getting pin holes in the dumb things. WHY????? Also to get a bleed of one color to the next, how do I achieve that? Appreciate any and all feed back. THANKS

Hello Tucker... Pin holes are usually caused by pouring too hot. If you're pouring between 140 and 150, you shouldn't be getting that. Are you sure your thermometer is working correctly? Or are you heating your molds before you pour? Sometimes pin holes are caused by tiny bubbles as well so don't stir you wax too vigorously before pouring or pour a little slower. You don't have to pour your wax fast or sloppily to get a good rustic. To achieve a blended layer...pour your next layer when your first layer is still soft. If you tilt your mold, you should be able to see the hot wax roll just underneath the surface. If you waited a little too long and that first layer has set up already, try hitting the top of it with you heat gun so that you get a small pool of melted wax going...then pour your next layer.

Pin holes can be caused by mold release or PAM if you don't wipe it out really well with a paper towel after spraying.

Another way you get tiny holes on a cold-poured candle is from the wax being so cool, it gets frothy as you pour it. When those bubbles burst, you're left with tiny holes. HTH