Timing for repour

I haven't been able to find a good answer to this one, or get the hang of it myself... when do you poke relief holes and repour? I always end up doing it too early (candle is still liquid) or too late (candle has completely cooled, and it's hard to make or enlarge the holes)

Is there a certain sign that I'm looking for, like how warm the outside of the mold feels, or a certain time range? I'm also usually pouring in layers, taking up to 2 hours to pour the entire thing, so I would need to know if the time was measured from the first pour or the last one.

Right now I'm doing rustic pillars in a 3x4.5" mold with IGI 1443, 3 tbs stearic. Usually lots of fairly thin layers, but I've been also doing solids and 2-3 layers. Cooling naturally, no water bath or anything.

This is starting to really frustrate me and it would really help if someone could at least give me a starting point to work from. :cry2: Thanks.

I personally start poking my relief holes once the wax has started setting up pretty well so that it makes actual holes - then poke about once an hour until the vents remain clear - I don't do my repour until completely cool - sometimes even days later.

I personally start poking my relief holes once the wax has started setting up pretty well so that it makes actual holes - then poke about once an hour until the vents remain clear - I don't do my repour until completely cool - sometimes even days later.

Me too. Donita Louise