Making First Candle

The first one is always the most difficult. Just make sure that you let it cool completely before you try to remove it from the mold also. That alone is the hardest part. I pour mine late in the day and leave them until the next morning before I unmold. So far so good. :D

Its still expensive to make the candles. I just got 200 pounds of wax delivered today. Not including the FO's! If you are using craft store products you will be paying alot more than if you order from an online supplier. Its all relative at this point for me though. There aren't suppliers near where I am, so everything from wax to molds to wicks comes from on line.

How much did that 200lbs of wax cost you?

Do you have any suggestions of online suppliers? i want to get everything online so i am not paying retail price so that i can profit when i sell my candles. Thanks again for all your help:cheesy2:

Nita, for the 200 pounds plus shipping it was close to $300. But I ordered from KY candle supplies. Vickey is really wonderful and I love the wax that I get from her. It is granulated so I don't have to use a hammer and beat my wax to death just to use it. Depending on what area of the country you are in, you might have a supplier closer to you.

As for who I recommend, it all depends on where you are and what kind of wax you want to use. I have used candlesandsupplies in Pennsylvania, but shipping was too much. I have heard great things about candlescience, farmhouse, and all the rest.

HTH

Pat

Wow! $300.00! i would hope that would make alot of candles. I am still new to this so i am not sure just how much it takes to make one candle!!!

I live it Texas so i want to find a supplier that is close to me so i dont have to spend an arm and a leg!

do you sell your candles?

So far I do not sell them. Most of the ones that I have made have gone out the door as testers and gifts. If you are trying to figure out a way to make extra money, this really isn't the way to do it. I have been making candles for 5 years and am only now thinking of selling. Until I can afford the necessary things like insurance, though, that is still just a thought.

To figure out how much wax a candle mold needs, there are instructions on this board. I think its under general information, or techniques and ideas. Either way, there is alot of help here. Just remember, it isn't about heating up wax, sticking a wick into it and selling it. You have to test them from top to bottom and make sure you are sure you can replicate them.

I have found that my 3X3 pillar weighs about 1 pound finished.

HTH

Pat

My thought is to get a sample size of a wax to try first and then another if it isn't what you like. If you order a large amount of a wax and then feel it isn't what you really want...you have a lot of it left...ask me how I know. It takes more shipping charges, but in the long run, I think it is worth it to do it that way. Same with FOs. I sometimes get caught up in a sale and find the oil I now have a pound of just doesn't work for me. I have a mantra...sample, sample, sample. Beth

There are different types of soy for different applications. There is a separate section on the board for vegetable waxes. If you do a search there for the soy wax for pillars, you might find which ones people here like or don't. I am a paraffin user myself.

Thanks Patience.

I have thought about a kit but i am stuck on which one i really should purchase. They all offer so much different stuff at different prices. I know i want to do pillars but i am just trying to find a kit that has everything i need. :cheesy2:

Linda,

How has your candle experience been?

Hi Nita;

I started making candles around June of last year. I did a lot of research and studying for about 3 months. Then I bought a soy container kit. I was hooked after that.

I thought that I was going to stick to containers only. BOY was I wrong.

I soon started doing votives and pillars.

Candle making relaxes me.

I did my first craft show last November. It was hetic getting ready for that, but well worth it.

I'm doing my first open house in April. My girlfriend in Spokane has agreed to have it at her house. It'll be fun.

I just got a catalog made and started getting it out. Got my first order last week from that.

Now...to get a website going.

A lot of testing and research go into every candle I make. It doesn't go out my door until I am happy with the results.