Hehehe, Family, What would we do without them!

So my aunt in law calls me the other day and proclaims that she made soap. I told her, cool, how did you like it? She says, it was great, that she sent my daughter home with a few bars. Then she gets into a convo with me about soap making.

Aunt : So how long do you melt yours and how hot do you pour it?

Me: I do not make melt and pour soap, I make my soap using oils, lye and water.

Aunt: Oh, so do you melt yours in the microwave or on a burner?

Me: I melt my oils on a burner, but I don't think you are understanding though. I do not use a base for my soap, I make it with oil, lye and water, like your great granny probably made it.

Aunt: Ok, so how fast does your soap harden? 15 minutes? This one I got hardened in less than 5 minutes. What do you do to yours to make it not harden up so fast. And how do you keep yours from melting away so fast, your bars seem to last forever. These melt away so fast when I use them.

Me: How about you come over tomorrow and watch me make a batch of my soap so you can see what I am talking about?

Aunt: Sure!! That would be great, then I can make it too!

You mean I have been giving this woman bars of soaps for over a year now and she had no clue they were not melt and pour? She can't tell the difference?:laugh2:

LOL I have had that same sort of conversation.. only not about making soap but using it.. I make m&p and CP.. so when a friend who always used my 'fun' melt and pour took a cp bar to use and it lasted longer she thought there was something wrong with it.. hehe cause apparently longer lasting soap is not what she wanted? hehe

Lol!! That is hilarious!

One of aunt-in-law's friends was visiting her house last week and she had a tun of my creamed soap sitting by the sink. So the friend tries some and proclaims that she is in love! Asked aunt where she got it. Aunt tells her that I made it for her. The friend asks, oh so did she use a kit of some kind? Aunt replies, she has some recipe she made herself for it. Then the friend asked her to ask me for the recipe so she could make some too. Like, get real! Never made any kind of soap before but wants me to just hand over my recipe and instructions on how to make it:cheesy2: People I tell you. Do they not realize this is my business? Can't go into BBW and ask them for their recipes so why do they ask for mine:tongue2:

Lol!! That is hilarious!

One of aunt-in-law's friends was visiting her house last week and she had a tun of my creamed soap sitting by the sink. So the friend tries some and proclaims that she is in love! Asked aunt where she got it. Aunt tells her that I made it for her. The friend asks, oh so did she use a kit of some kind? Aunt replies, she has some recipe she made herself for it. Then the friend asked her to ask me for the recipe so she could make some too. Like, get real! Never made any kind of soap before but wants me to just hand over my recipe and instructions on how to make it:cheesy2: People I tell you. Do they not realize this is my business? Can't go into BBW and ask them for their recipes so why do they ask for mine:tongue2:

It's the word "recipe" that throws people off sometimes. In industry they would call it a formula...

I have had folks come to my booth and say, "I would like some lye soap, please." When I tell them it's ALL made with lye, they pick up a colored, scented bar and say, "NO, not this. I want LYE soap." heh heh

So I give them a plain jane, unscented, uncolored, old-fashioned lard soap and they say, "YES, that's it! LYE soap!" Guess they are looking for the kind like Grandma used to make. ;)