Cracking votives

I am currently using Cargill Nature wax V-1.Heres my problem. The votives that I have poured are cracking. I used 1 ounce fragrance to one pound. A couple slivers of color. I poured at 160( reccommened manufacters temp)I have never had this happen. The only thing Im doing different is using my new turkey fryer to melt. I check temps before I pour. I tryed saving the votives with heat gun. Couldnt do it.(can I remelt for votives again)Any help would be great Thanks

I don't do votives but came across a possible solution on another board. They suggested adding 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (just the Luann brand from Wally World) per pound of wax. For the most part I believe the consensus was 1/2 TBS per pound was sufficient. Several people reported that this solved the cracking problem.

That happens to me sometimes when I use soy. For me...the heat gun works only if I wait until the votive has totally cooled, then I zap them again with the heat gun...but only until it becomes soft (not melted) and use a wooden skewer to make relief holes so there's absolutely no more air trapped underneath. Once it cools again, I'm able to see little indentions on the surface, but no cracks. Use the heat gun again on low setting just until it's slightly melted and then it sets up beautifully.

I've zapped and zapped and the votive would crack again and again or it would become rough on the top and really unattractive. This is the only thing that works for me. HTH.

Brooke

My candle room is in the basement. I have no heat down there, only a portable heater. I have never ran into my votives cracking. I only have poured them in warmer weather.So I too thought maybe they are cooling to fast. I brought a batch upstirs and repoured. They are setting up, and do not look to healthy. The other batch is cooling in a box. I will try the heat gun with relief holes. I will let you k now what happens. I might just take votives right out of my line.(My hubby would not like the, they are one of the best sellers)

I am not sure where you are located but I had my votives crack on me before too.

What I did was try the heat up so that it was 75 degrees. I put all of my votive molds on a cookie sheet so that it was easier to move them. I poured all of them cover with a box and placed in a warm oven. Worked for me. Give it a try and if that doesn't work than I aggree you may have some bad wax.

Good Idea, I will add container wax today. I have another question. I have alot of containers that did not sell at my previos shows. Could I ever dig them out remelt and repour?Should I add fragrance and more color?I hope I can do something with all that stuff. I wish I could just discount them at the spring show, but no sales are allowed . I think it would be hard to explain why some stuff is alot less expensive then the other containers that I will be selling. Thanks for any help

Are you changing containers or something? I think it would be okay to set them off to the side, mark discontinued and X% off. You could stick them in your oven to melt down and reuse if you really want to; I just think it's a waste of containers if the candles are perfectly fine.

Hi.

I've only done containers but tried the V1 and they cracked. Usually when I tried to get them out of the votive cup. Used silicone spray and then veg. oil but still hard to get out. They don't crack till I put them in the frig to loosen them up. I did add some of my contianer wax and cool under a bowl to see if that would help, and I think it did, but still a small crack after cooling and I couldn't budge them without it. How do you prepare the mold or do you add mold release to the wax? TIA. Beth

I never put anything in my votive cups to release them. They always pop right out. ( hope I just didnt jinx myself) My cracking occured when they were cooling. It seems to be good now. Thanks for all the help :D

What type wick do you find works best in this wax? I like the wax, but am having a terrible time finding just the right wick. They either burn small or overheat the votive cup. I've been lucky I guess, no cracking, yet.

PamR

What type wick do you find works best in this wax? I like the wax, but am having a terrible time finding just the right wick. They either burn small or overheat the votive cup. I've been lucky I guess, no cracking, yet.

PamR

I use HTP 73 wicks in my V-1 and C-3 votive candles for all fragrances with liquid dye.