flea markets

I had a booth in a fleamarket in 2001 and it was horrible. We sold a lot of candles, but had to constantly reduce our prices in order to move inventory. Everyone wants a deal and no one wants to pay what the items were worth. In the end it just wasn't worth it to us.

I love, love flea markets. I'm currently in my 3rd one.

No setup and teardown. At the end of the day, you just walk out the door.

Much different (better) than owning a store. No cleaning, sweeping, it's all done by someone else.

You can't possibly expect to make several times over your rent your first weekend. Flea markets are full of repeat business. If your product is good, the repeats will come. They will tell their friends. Expect to start slow and build your business up as time goes by.

As for price, when I lower my prices or put things on sale, I don't sell as much. People will happily pay higher prices for quality products. Price things too low and people will automatically assume it's not a quality product.

Flea markets are not places for the downtrodden, as some people snootily think. Perhaps 50% of the people who frequent flea markets are there looking for the unusual or for something they can't find anywhere else.

I have good repeat customers in several states just because they were passing through town and stopped at the flea, probably for lack of something else to do. Some people are flea hounds, just like some people are garage sale hounds.

I have also picked up several wholesale accounts from being at a flea market.

Those who look down their noses at flea markets have no clue. I wouldn't trade it for any other kind of visibility. It beats the hell out of pounding the pavement.

I honestly think it depends on the type of Flea Market it is. Most of the Flea Markets I have been to are Junk Peddlers....However, there have been a few that were very nice and had vendors that sold New products and their homemade creations.

Scope out the Market you are looking at getting into. If you go in and see vendors that have nice booths and dont have to constantly haggle over prices, then it may be the place for you.

I, personally, would never be in a Flea Market setting but that is because I do not want my own store as I have a full time job and do not wish to have my weekends tied up. I have never had to "pound the pavement" for a Wholesale account....if you have a quality product, they will call you!

I am also in several flea markets, they all do really well. It does not take as long as you think to build up customers. I do think it does depend on the market. If you are surrounded by garage sale stuff people will want to haggle.

In our area most of the fleas are like malls, mostly new stuff, rent is actually high, but not as much as a store.

Lots of people travel through and stop and look. If nothing else, mark your business cards with a coupon code and see how much more business it generates on your website, I was really surprised.

I have a store, but honestly I do many times over my store sales in the flea markets. I get a ton more exposure, even if people don't buy they see you and remember what you have for later.

Excuse me....but are we talking about flea markets? or FARMERS markets?? Our local flea market charges $15 for a 10 foot spot, outdoors and at a drive-in theatre, open only on Sundays. The people there haggle you for every nickel and dime they can. On the other hand, a farmer's market is where you would do well, usually indoors, and yes..rent is considerably higher for a space. At least thats the way it is here in north-east PA.

We pay around 50 per space, usually 10 x 12. Ours are indoors, but some have outside places available. The outside ones are where they typically sell garage sale items and such. indoors is mostly new or antiques. Most have 500 or more spaces. They are more like a mall. Our farmers market is only open two days a week, only in the summer. It think it mostly carries produce. As I garden myself I have never been there.