Thermometer annoyances

Stealing on is an option...

I have two - a candy thermometer that sits on the presto for "in the ball park" and a digital that I use to check for more accuracy. If you have a candy thermometer, make sure you have one that the paper with the degrees is glued in place. I had one with staples that moved! I could have my wax at 180* and that darn thing would register anywhere from 160-220. Threw it out.

I have heard of a digital that will clip on the presto, but I have yet to find one.

The thermometers with the metal stems, whether digital or analog, are much faster.

I find it useful to have a candy thermometer for various purposes though. They're handy to clip to the side of a pour pot or melt pot, plus if you're double boiling they can be useful to monitor water temp.

5 minutes sounds like an exaggeration, but if that's true then it seems you need a better candy thermometer. Any type of thermometer made by Taylor is good in my experience. My Taylor candy thermometer is accurate and much faster than that.

A good investment might be the raytec themometer. Here is a link:

http://www.infrared-usa.com/default.aspx?param1=google

It is on sale for $59.00.... You just point and shoot. ( Make sure you mix your pot before you take temp because it takes the surface temp.)

It is a lot less mess, no breaking, and VERY accurate!!

Hey TopofMH--Guess you haven't gotten yours yet???

:wink2: HTH