Going to try my hand at lip balm...question.

Demenshia

Most companies recommend NOT worrying about sterilizing the lip balm tubes. You most likely will cause more problems than prevent. If for some reason ANY water was left behind from the sterilization process, it would form a breeding ground for mold and other nasties. Very very gross.

I make thousands of lip balms a year (getting close to that many a month actually), and I've never sterilized them, and I've never had any problems with them either. They're really very easy, and lots of fun. If you need any tips, just holler! I've got a million of them when it comes to lip balms!

Thanks again :) Been wanting to get into the B&B side of things but the whole sterilizing thing and fear of things growing months later has kept me away from it. But I've decided it's time to slowly wade in :) Eventually want to make my own instead of using bases but figured it would be easier to ease into using a base :) Thanks again and I'll keep that in mind Soaper for future reference :)

Got my first batch melting as I type this :) YAY! hehe I forgot how exciting it can be to try something new :)

I make and sell countless tubes of balm and have NEVER had a single problem either. I have never sterilized tubes. You do need to concentrate on making sure that you keep the base itself clean and sterile. I always wear gloves and keep the whole balm making process very clean.

I am not sure about sanitising or disinfecting. But I do know sterilization is not need unless the bacteria could enter the body, such as through a cut. The only time anything needs to be sterilized is more of a hospital enviornment. Even salons do not have to sterilize as its completely unessessary, just disinfection. Sorry, just my nail tech teachings kicking in.:wink2:

I am not sure about sanitising or disinfecting. But I do know sterilization is not need unless the bacteria could enter the body, such as through a cut. The only time anything needs to be sterilized is more of a hospital enviornment. Even salons do not have to sterilize as its completely unessessary, just disinfection. Sorry, just my nail tech teachings kicking in.:wink2:

You still have to sterilize cuticle nippers. Either with UV or barbacide.