Getting that first sale

I need some advice from some seasoned chandlers out there. Cast your mind back to when you first started, yes I know it was a long time ago... LOL

I'm starting with some basic scents for my candles to which I will add to in due course. Now this probably sounds really stupid but did your first customers just pick out a scent or did you give them some samplers first.

I have quite a few people who were customers of mine from my previous business who all expressed an interest in buying my candles once I went into production.

DH and I have come up with a couple of ideas one of them being sending out a tealight of each fragrance for them to sample, charging a small amount for the set but then also including a money off voucher to that value to be redeemed when they make their first full purchase.

The idea being that by charging them for the sampler set you're giving your product a worth. In effect the sample set won't cost them anything once they use the voucher. Once they are regular customers then popping in a free tealight or melt with their order will probably be the best way of promoting a new scent.

What do you guys think? Does our idea seem feasible? Your feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Ruby

I think your idea sounds fair. I would buy a sampler pack. I use sampler packs myself and include a discount coupon. I can tell you that when I first started, tealights were my business cards. I used a P-Touch label maker to make labels for each tealight. The label had my website address, fragrance and the word sample on them. I used the tin tealight cups (I now use the clear). I always carried them with me and handed them out all over the place.

If I am understand what you are saying is you are going to send the samplers with out them ordering it, if not ignore what next.

A legal stand point I believe is you can not charge a customer for something they did not ask for or agree to buy. It is not their responsibility to send it back or pay you if it was not ordered by them.

Just to clarify... I sell tealight sampler packs. I call them "Sampler Paks" because I let the customer choose the fragrances and allow them to mix them up. They in fact have to order them/purchase them. However, I do include a discount coupon offering a percentage off their next online purchase. I don't hand out sampler paks.

Vicky, just re read my post, didn't really phrase it correctly. That'll teach me to multi task LOL. I wasn't going to send them out without people ordering. As you quite rightly stated it wouldn't be the done thing.

By the way Christine, what is a P-Touch label maker? I've never heard of them.

Ruby